SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Freezes PC

Copper Contributor
I have observed that the Microsoft Teams desktop app freezes my HP laptop. This is the 3rd experience on this laptop and the laptop is newly purchased, running on Windows 10 Home edition, has a RAM of 4.00GB (3.42 usable) and an AMD Raedeon Graphics CPU 2.30GHz. I was wondering if the problem occurs because of the client file or the laptop specs. I tried solving the problem by deleting the Teams files from the AppData folder and the Temp files then reinstalling the client file to no avail. I’ve monitored the app’s performance on Task Manager while on Teams calls and it shows a CPU usage of 100% and freezes the PC completely, but the audio of the calls is unaffected.

Please urgently advise as this is affecting my schoolwork and class attendance. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Michelle Duru
45 Replies
Hey dude, i tried everything i have improved my specs (12 gb ram, 270 gb SSD, 1.5 TB HDD and even Vega 8 graphics with Ryzen 3 3100 proccesor and Windows 11 Home single language) pls help me with this problem (i am a student from upper primary in India) NOTE: This is not a prank

I have a new rog zephyrus  with 32 Ram and when on a call on teams app my pc completely freezes doesn't even let me use task manager. Took it to get mended and apparently everything is working fine, they re-installed bios. But again today it froze again, I can still hear and use sound. One time it also beeped when crashing, never had any other problems with the pc Very strange, while using teams browser it doesn't happen though.. @Vesa Nopanen 

I too have been plagued with my machine completely freezing during Teams calls.
Fairly high-spec Lenovo X1 Carbon (6th Gen), i5-8350, 16GB RAM (40-60% free), Jabra 65 Evolve2 headset, Windows 10 Enterprise. Windows fully Updated. Lenovo System fully updated (including recent BIOS flashes).
I can work all day - many Office Apps / Browsing / Outlook etc. etc.
Usually I get reports of "your sound is breaking up..." followed by "Oh, there he goes".
With or without Video (I've now taken to not having my video on most of the time)...
Everything goes Choppy ... Then the whole laptop freezes. I have to wait patiently 2-3 minutes before Teams closes... I can't do anything - switch apps, run Task Manager (Ctrl-alt-del) etc.
Happens whether I've recently re-booted or not.
Thank you, I'm thinking its probably a problem with teams but I don't understand why it doesn't happen on my colleagues computers. I have resolved the problem by using teams on a browser instead of the Application (not as handy but doable).

I have this problem since forever and on several different computers. I literally just bought a beast of a lenovo (64GB ram xeon processor, etc) and with essentially nothing installed and teams still bring the whole system to a grinding halt. Even after shutting it down, the environment can be unstable until I restart. I have no pending updates or anything like that, this system is pristine.

Step 1: Open Microsoft Teams Settings and go to the Apps menu. Step 2: Select Apps & features and find Microsoft Teams from the list. Step 3: Click on more button and select Advanced options. Step 4: Select the Reset button and Windows will reset the Microsoft Teams app.

Regards,
Will