Microsoft Teams does not reflect my new name in the other users of my team

Copper Contributor
Microsoft Teams does not reflect my new name in the other users of my team in Microsoft teams, even after many days, my old name continues to appear to them.

I use an institutional mail (university) in Microsoft Teams. I applied to change my name to the computer science department of the university because it was wrong. After a couple of days it was changed in my Office 365 account and thus it was changed in Teams days later (I actually had to reinstall Teams for the change to be noticed). All good so far, but my classmates still see my old name. It's absurd that I have to tell them to reinstall Teams to see my new name.

Does this have another solution? I can't believe the only thing is that ALL my classmates have to clear the cache or reinstall their Teams clients on PC.

Even the IT department doesn't know how to fix this.
3 Replies
Hello, it seems as you've already found some workarounds but usually a simple manual sign out from Teams is enough for settings to be refreshed. You know all is good if it looks OK using Teams on the web, even though a sign out online needs to be done occasionally as well.
Yes, the new information appears in Teams Web and in the Windows application. The problem is that my updated name does not appear to others. For example, other users still call me by my old name, which means that my old information still appears to them. This problem takes several weeks, and I do not want to tell other users to make a simple manual singn out because there are many users.

It is worth nothing that the new information appears to me if it does not appear to others.
Well, it's part of the technical world to reboot and sign out from devices and apps sometimes as with all other technical stuff out there. You just have to re-authenticate occasionally. And in this case one can only guess about the underlying environment as to why this is happening, such as hybrid or cloud-only, are all the others in the same org etc. etc. Many parameters to take into consideration.

If you're not satisfied with the behavior have your IT department open up a support case with Microsoft to get it analyzed.