Closed Caption doesn't work for some users

Brass Contributor

We are trying to figure out why only our admins have closed captioning available.  We have a person who is deaf and we really need this (especially with the working from home right now).

In Teams admin Center, meetings, meeting policies, participants & guest - we have the setting for enable live captions set to "disable but the organizer can override".  The only other option is set to disable.

This policy is our default policy and is assigned to everyone.

When I start a meeting, i have live captions and if i start it, the entire meeting doesn't see them.  The only people on the meeting that can see is my admin team.

I found an article to look at the Teams Meeting Policy via Powershell.  I have not been able to properly connect to teams powershell.  I would love the exact directions on how to do this.  Do you using windows powershell?  We are using Office365.

I've searched Google and can't find anyone with this problem.  We've contacted MS twice and haven't gotten it to work.

4 Replies

@stellarIT following this! We have some issues with live closed caption too. The option doesn't seem to be available at all, although enabled on the tenancy. Some users report that they used to see the option, but that they can't see it anymore. We have raised a call with Microsoft and waiting to hear back. I wonder if this experience has anything to do with the fact that it is just a preview feature and not yet fully rolled out. 

@stellarIT  Thanks for posting.  Will follow.  We have some users we still can't figure out why they don't have the option in Teams

Same here and not getting any answers!

@cindyb72 Hello, have you checked all your settings?

Live captions are a preview feature in Microsoft Teams and only available in English (US) for now.

To enable live captions
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/meeting-policies-in-teams#enable-live-captions 

Please use the Get-CsTeamsMeetingPolicy in PowerShell to verify the setting as well.

-LiveCaptionsEnabledType
Determines whether real-time captions are available for the user in Teams meetings. Set this to DisabledUserOverride to allow user to turn on live captions. Set this to Disabled to prohibit.

It's common that all settings seems to be OK, but the org. users are not using the same meeting policy. Meaning it's disabled in the other policy. It's easy to check the assigned policy from the Teams admin portal on a user that can't use the live caption feature.