SOLVED

Matching help

Copper Contributor

Hello. I am now manually matching divisions and products in Excel and it takes so much time and causes many errors. May anyone help with my case?

1. I have 103 division names and 24 product names.

2. Each should contain 24 products so that I can record the stock amount.

3. It should be 103 x 24 =  2472 rows for all products.

I've attached a sample of the ideal table that I want to create.Excel Sample.png

Any formulas or functions may help me so I don't need to drag the products manually. Thank you in advance for any advice.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by phimmychan35 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Sub division()

Dim i, j, l As Long
Range("E2:G1048576").Clear

l = 2

For i = 2 To 104

For j = 2 To 25

Cells(l, 5).Value = Cells(i, 1).Value
Cells(l, 6).Value = Cells(j, 2).Value

l = l + 1

Next j

Next i

End Sub

In the attached file you can run this macro by clicking on the button in cell I2.

Hi, Oliver. Thank you so much! I do appreciate it!

@phimmychan35 If you have Excel for MS365, here's a couple of dynamic array formulas that could also work.

In cell E2, use either of the following formulas to repeat the "Divisions":

=TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(,24), "H"&SEQUENCE(103)))

- OR -

=TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(,24), A2:A104))

In cell F2, use the following formula to repeat the "Products":

=TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(,103), B2:B25),, TRUE)

Repeating values with SEQUENCERepeating values with SEQUENCE

Thank you so much. I will check this out!

Hello. Thank you once again for your help! @OliverScheurich @djclements 

Regarding this question, could you help me with one more matter?

I have a horizontal table that stores product quantity data. The format of the table cannot be changed and the data is updated all the time. That I need another table with a vertical format. (You guys have already helped create this table.) This vertical table must pull product quantity information from the horizontal table. What formula should be used?

V2 table.png
Note: The list of Divisions and Products may be changed, increased, or decreased.

@phimmychan35 

=LET(values,DROP(Tabelle10,,1),divisions,Tabelle10[Division],products,DROP(Tabelle10[#Headers],,1),HSTACK(TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(,COLUMNS(products)),divisions)),TOCOL(IFNA(EXPAND(products,ROWS(divisions)),products)),TOCOL(values)))

You are welcome. Do you work with Office 365 or Excel for the web? If so you can work with a dynamic table and apply the above formula. In my example the name of the dynamic table is Tabelle10. You have to replace Tabelle10 with the name of your dynamic table.

divisions.png

@phimmychan35 

=LET(values,DROP(Tabelle10,,1),divisions,Tabelle10[Division],products,DROP(Tabelle10[#Headers],,1),
HSTACK(TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(,COLUMNS(products)),divisions))&" - "&
TOCOL(IFNA(EXPAND(products,ROWS(divisions)),products)),TOCOL(values)))

I've just realised that your desired output is different than what i've suggested in my last reply. The above formula should produce the intended output.
matching help.png

@phimmychan35 This looks like a job for Power Query:

1. Start by selecting any cell within your data table, then go to Data > From Table/Range to launch the Power Query Editor.
  2. Delete the auto-generated "Changed Type" step, if applicable.
  3. With the "Division" column selected, go to Transform > Unpivot Columns > Unpivot Other Columns.
  4. Select both the "Division" and "Attribute" columns, then go to Transform > Merge Columns, select the "--Custom--" separator, input " - " and rename the new column "Division/Product".
  5. Go to Home > Close & Load.

You could also copy/paste the following M-Code into the Advanced Editor:

let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table1"]}[Content],
    #"Unpivoted Other Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(Source, {"Division"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Unpivoted Other Columns",{"Division", "Attribute"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter(" - ", QuoteStyle.None),"Division/Product")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Note: change "Table1" to match the name of your data table.

Also, if you want to stick with the dynamic array formulas mentioned in my previous reply, they can be modified as follows:

=LET(
   pro, DROP(Table1[#Headers],, 1),
   div, Table1[Division],
   HSTACK(
      TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(, COLUMNS(pro)), div))&" - "&
      TOCOL(IF(SEQUENCE(ROWS(div)), pro)),
      TOCOL(DROP(Table1,, 1))
   )
)

Please see the attached workbook, which contains both methods...

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by phimmychan35 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Sub division()

Dim i, j, l As Long
Range("E2:G1048576").Clear

l = 2

For i = 2 To 104

For j = 2 To 25

Cells(l, 5).Value = Cells(i, 1).Value
Cells(l, 6).Value = Cells(j, 2).Value

l = l + 1

Next j

Next i

End Sub

In the attached file you can run this macro by clicking on the button in cell I2.

View solution in original post