SOLVED

Edge keeps signing me out

Brass Contributor

Since a week or two, Microsoft Edge signs me out of my MS account.

The top left account menu shows orange lettering, and when I click it, it reports that it can't sync because it needs to confirm my identity (first screenshot). I can then click Sign In, and don't need to enter my password or anything, just click Continue (2nd screenshot).

But pretty soon (like the next day, or sometimes even later the same day) the same thing happens again.

It never happened before two weeks ago. I'm not aware of any changes to my system or my account that preceded this issue. It's the same account I've used for years, and the password and 2-factor haven't changed in months.

What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

ETA: Possibly related, because I noticed it at the same time and it seems to occur at the same moments: Microsoft Security and Defender stop responding. Both still show their icons in the systray, but neither opens when clicked. Only way to get around that is to kill all related process or reboot the system. And Security keeps showing the same notifications I've dismissed over and over again.

EdgeSignedOut.pngProceedSigningIn.png

113 Replies
PS: It's spreading, or so it seems. Now OneDrive reports it's been signed out almost daily.
Try:
Microsoft Edge - Settings - Profiles - Profile settings - Automatically sign in to Microsoft Edge
That simple? That would be great!

However, I'm waiting to see if this really resolves it. Mostly because I've never seen that option before, and I have definitely not turned it off recently, and still the issue popped up recently.

In any case, thanks for your response.

I have the same problem as you. Microsoft Edge logs me out every time I restart my PC. Today when I was looking for the reason, I noticed this new setting. Actually there is a whole profiles section added. So I'm also waiting to see if this will work.

Oh, it's new! That explains a lot. I did encounter the whole profiles thing before at work, didn't realize that it's now also in this instance of Edge.
Too bad: the issue popped up again this morning, so that option is not the answer.
And it's definitely broader than Edge, I'm finding: in addtion to OneDrive suddenly signing out, Office-apps are also reporting trouble signing in.
Looks like there's a bigger problem. Maybe a future update will fix it.
Then there's the possibility that something just went wrong to you. In that case, reinstalling the entire operating system might help.
I don't use Microsoft Edge as my main browser, so that doesn't bother me so much.
Searched Google some more, found a page where someone suggested clearing out Credentials Manager from all MS-related entries might do the trick. Tried that. Problem hasn't recurred since. So it might be a matter of corrupt/outdated credentials.

Unfortunately, the problem has returned, though less frequently than before. Through other channels, I've heard suggested that a recent update may be the culprit. If so, I'm now hoping a fix is forthcoming in the near future.

The very same problem here on two laptops. For two, maybe three weeks now. No solution found so far.

In the end I deleted the entire user settings folder, created a completely new profile and everything is working fine so far.

:TaskKillMsEdge
	TaskKill /t /f /im "msedge.exe"
	If Not %ErrorLevel% == 128 TimeOut 1 & GoTo TaskKillMsEdge

RmDir	/s /q	"%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data"
Tried that too, thanks!
So far, so good: had multiple signouts per day, and after doing this cleanup, none yet. Will report back in a couple of days.
Laughed too soon. Issue is back, multiple times a day.

Possibly related, because I noticed it at the same time and it seems to occur at the same moments: Microsoft Security and Defender stop responding. Both still show their icons in the systray, but neither opens when clicked. Only way to get around that is to kill all related process or reboot the system. And Security keeps showing the same notifications I've dismissed over and over again.
So far everything works for me even after several days and reboots.
With so many bugs, I would personally go for a clean OS installation.
Yeah well, I bought the Surface new in December, and spent a lot of time installing my apps and applying my favorite settings from the ground up. I would really prefer not to have to go through another reinstall/reconfig less than four months later, with no guarantee that the same issue won't pop up again.
Exact same issue. Just finished a complete re-install from scratch with the ISO. After the first reboot Edge gives me the "Sign in" treatment again. I have to agree that this has since gotten worse. I own another four machine and it slowly starts to show itself more and more. First, it was Edge, now it started to happen with Office Apps as well as the MS Store... it's really really frustrating.
hi
i have same issue
have you solved it?
What do you mean with Credentials Manager? Passwords in edge wallet?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by florismkleijne (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@florismkleijne HP Elitebook laptop, Windows 11 (language Norwegian), changed from 365 work account to personal 365 account earlier this year. Login to Windows with personal account. Had this problem with Microsoft Edge signing me out all the time.

Possible solution: Opened Settings, Accounts, Login options, deleted all Hello options (face recognition, finger print and PIN). Recreated these Hello options. I guess there was a connection to my earlier work account in these settings. After restart of laptop there is no problem with Edge signing me out (so far so good day at one). Will report back later this week.

View solution in original post