SOLVED

Business Central Licensing Scenario - Other app users

Brass Contributor

Two license topics from me in one day...fun times.   I'm trying to figure out what Business Central license is required for a very specific case as follows.

• A user works in an app on a mobile device that works in offline mode (does not need a live connection to the back-end Dynamics platforms)
  • The back-end environment has functionality running on both D365 Sales and Business Central
    • The user in my scenario never uses these applications directly - they only work in their mobile app
  • The user's app shows data its own database, not directly from either system
    • BUT, data gets pushed from D365 Sales and Business Central out to the database for the mobile app
  • The user also performs actions in the app that get recorded (details of work performed, items used, etc.)
  • A non-real-time integration process (running on an integration platform...assume every 5 minutes) picks up the details of items that were used and pushes them into Business Central where they are automatically posted as negative item adjustments

So...my question is:   What license does the mobile app user require for Business Central?

21 Replies
Hi Rob,

Since this sounds like a licensing question, I'll move this post to the NCE & BizApps community. Please note this for future reference.

Please stand by for a resolution and/reply.

Regards,
LC

Hi @robepimatic 

I would suggest the BC license with a D365 Sales attach licenseThis topic describes the process of integrating the online versions of Dynamics 365 Sales and Business Central through Dataverse - Integrating with Dynamics 365 Sales - Business Central | Microsoft Learn

The Business Central tablet client and Business Central phone client do not replace the Business Central Web client. Instead, they offer a touch interface for a limited set of application scenarios compared to the Business Central Web client.  Therefore, the mobile app is not a separate license. Instead, it's a feature/benefit of having the full license, however, there are differences - Differences and Limitations When Developing Pages for Mobile App - Business Central | Microsoft Lear....

Other Helpful Info:

Introducing the Dynamics 365 Business Central Mobile App - Business Central | Microsoft Learn

Install the Business Central Mobile App - Business Central | Microsoft Learn

Mobile Apps FAQ - Business Central | Microsoft Learn

If this (or someone else's) reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Microsoft CSP Licensing Concierge

Thank you. Is there a source I can contact for definitive answers on what license is REQUIRED as opposed to guidance/suggestions? I've edited my original post to make it more clear. I'm looking for someone from microsoft to tell me "Well, if that scenario was already built and exists today (it does), then it requires each mobile app user to have a ___________ license for business central."

Hi @robepimatic 

Suggest reading Microsoft multiplexing guide, as this should help with your decision. See attached.

In brief, despite the off-line aspect, users (and the company) are benefiting from integrating with BC and D365 Sales and in my opinion users would need to be licensed.  This is more of a compliance requirement, rather than technically needing the license in order to access the systems directly.

The D365 licensing guide also provides details on multiplexing.

@Nick_Beacroft - the information in my reply aligns with your response in regards to integrating D365 Sales with BC.

@robepimatic hmmm.... unless I'm missing something, my response provided you with a solution.

(edited) If you feel this information is not viable, you may escalate it to Microsoft via a support plan. For information about specific support plans, see the following table. For more information, see compare partner support plans.

If this (or someone else's) reply answers your question, please Accept as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. Otherwise, please let me know if you need further assistance on this topic.

Regards,

Thanks Nick. My thought here is that a full Business Central license would be needed because of the item posting being fed back into BC and posting automatically (no user intervention), even if it is not happening in real time. I was hoping to get confirmation on that from someone at Microsoft as a definitive answer.

@robepimatic 

here's my reply stating the full license (BC...Business Central) as well as the attach license (D365 Sales:(

LicensingConcierge_0-1687357550696.png

I also included the reason why you'll need both licenses:

LicensingConcierge_1-1687357647686.png

Let me know if you additional questions.

Regards,

They are not using the business central tablet client or phone client, so that's irrelevant. It's a completely separate mobile app not running directly on Business Central in any way.

@robepimatic 

LicensingConcierge_0-1687367192980.png

As indicated on the link that I've provided:

LicensingConcierge_0-1687367082271.png

If after reviewing the links that I've provided you have other questions, please let me know. 

Regards,

We're really talking about different things here...my scenario does not use the tablet client or phone client AT ALL, so any info referencing those is completely irrelevant. I'm very familiar with the tablet/phone client...it's not part of this scenario.

@robepimatic 

In the documentation that I've provided, you will see mentions ofBusiness Central tablet client, Business Central phone client, and Dynamics 365 Business Central Mobile App. Business Central tablet client and Business Central phone client describe the interface tailored to the category of mobile device, which is one of the tools available for developers for designing mobile solutions, whereas Dynamics 365 Business Central Mobile App is the common name for the app across all devices; the end result made with these tools -Introducing the Dynamics 365 Business Central Mobile App - Business Central | Microsoft Learn

I'd really like to help you find the right solution, however, if you still feel that none of the links in this post and previous posts, you may click on the "compare support offerings" from the following link for advanced or premier support Support for Microsoft Partner

• LicensingConcierge_1-1687372283700.png

• If you're a reseller, you should contact your indirect provider. 

Regards,

Thanks for your attempts to answer this - I do appreciate it. I understand "typical" license scenarios fine, but this is a very unique one. I had said the user uses "an app on a mobile device that works in offline mode (does not need a live connection to the back-end Dynamics platforms)" so clearly I didn't mean the Microsoft mobile app (it requires a live connection to the back-end Dynamics platform). I did end up getting connected with a high level person at Microsoft who believes the mobile users in this scenario require a full BC license. He's sent it off to a product manager in Denmark to confirm that opinion.
best response confirmed by robepimatic (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Thank you for confirming that I provided correct info by letting you know that the mobile users do need the full BC license.  I'll bet he also confirms that they also need the D365 Sales attach that I mentioned as well, (edited) because I'm thinking that would be multiplexing.

Note: Multiplexing is when customers use hardware or software to pool connections, reroute information, or reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use a product. Multiplexing can also include reducing the number of devices or users a product directly manages

Have a good one! :smile:

Regards,
LC

Yep...I thought a full user license was needed and you do also, and so does my initial contact at Microsoft. In this case there is a packaged ISV solution structured as I outlined, and the ISV vendor does not have ANY business central licensing at all in place for the mobile users...so that was a big red flag for me as we were evaluating that solution for a customer of ours. Thanks LC!

Hi @robepimatic 

Also note that if your third-party mobile app were to write transactions (negative item adjustments) into Business Central, it is going to require a Device License.

But if the mobile app users are only viewing the data, not writing anything back, a Team Member license would suffice because it's a cheaper option.  Take a look at the D365 LG (licensing guide) for details and find pricing here - Business Central Pricing | Microsoft Dynamics 365

Hope the added info helps :smile:

Regards,

@LicensingConcierge1 

Actually they don't.  The device license is a very unique license only allowed for SPECIFIC SCENARIOS that (in those specific scenarios only) can be used instead of a full user license.  i.e. shop floor operations, warehouse barcode scanning, etc.

Hi @robepimatic!
That's an interesting scenario and some of our customers have similar cases. And i find it interesting as well to see the Device CAL being mentioned here. Looking at the tasks which your customers users are supposed to perform, they do in fact sound similar to the shop floor device scenario. So why wouldn't you consider each mobile app as a device? Ok, you still have to sell many device licenses but they are less expensive than a full user at least...

Hi @Roger170 -
This functionality is far beyond what a Device License can be used for. We use device licenses on the shop floor and for warehousing....but they can't be used for mobile field service work.

@robepimatic the licensing guide does refer to "mobile locations"

Roger170_0-1688053202778.png

And a shop floor device can post material consumption or be used to track times

Roger170_1-1688053288518.png

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by robepimatic (Brass Contributor)
Solution

Thank you for confirming that I provided correct info by letting you know that the mobile users do need the full BC license.  I'll bet he also confirms that they also need the D365 Sales attach that I mentioned as well, (edited) because I'm thinking that would be multiplexing.

Note: Multiplexing is when customers use hardware or software to pool connections, reroute information, or reduce the number of devices or users that directly access or use a product. Multiplexing can also include reducing the number of devices or users a product directly manages

Have a good one! :smile:

Regards,
LC

View solution in original post