SOLVED

Whatsapp App displays Notification Even After It was Closed!

Copper Contributor

Hi.

I installed Whatsapp on my Windows 11.

The bizzare thing that happened is that, even after I closed Whatsapp (it was not visible anymore neither on the task bar nor on the tray icon area), Whatsapp kept running on the background and displaying notifications of new messages arriving on my whatsapp on the screen!

I certainly don't want apps running on the background after they were completely closed on the interface.

How can I force Whatsapp to be closed completely when I close it? Certainly that raises the concern of how many other apps are running on the background after being closed? I'm talking here, obviously, of explicit apps that should work only when opened by the user and displayed on the screen. I'm not talking about normal background processes of apps used to improve performance.

A background process to optimize performance is completely different of an app fully running and receiving messages after being closed. It's like closing Outlook Email and keep receiving notifications that a new Email arrived even though the app was closed. That didn't happen with outlook. but it's a good analogy. That behaviour from Whatsapp is unacceptable!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by doraimom_ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@doraimom_ 

Try this...

Settings>Apps>Installed apps>"scroll down to whatsapp">"click on 3 dots">Advanced options>Back ground apps permissions> "take your pick from always, optimised, and never. Probably 'never' in your case">Runs at log in>"you can toggle this on/off if you do/don't want it to automatically kick off at start"

Hope this helps

Neetu : )

@NeetuKahlon I would say you told me everything I needed to know, but the only issue here is that "never" was already selected for background permission for Whatsapp. I'm certain I didn't follow this path suggested by you before, so if I changed that background behaviour, it was done by other means. Anyway, I appreciate your help and believe that to be the solution. If I keep seeing notifications when I close Whatsapp, I'll let you guys know. I just need to enable Whatsapp notifications again in Windows. 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by doraimom_ (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@doraimom_ 

Try this...

Settings>Apps>Installed apps>"scroll down to whatsapp">"click on 3 dots">Advanced options>Back ground apps permissions> "take your pick from always, optimised, and never. Probably 'never' in your case">Runs at log in>"you can toggle this on/off if you do/don't want it to automatically kick off at start"

Hope this helps

Neetu : )

View solution in original post