SharePoint online news posts

Copper Contributor

I have a SharePoint online Communications site and when I create news posts I want to be able to flag them as New on the home page, and also flag them as Mandatory or Must Read - with a button in the template for the viewer to click to prove they have read and understood the content.

I used to be able to do this via SharePoint Designer for an old SharePoint 2013 site but cannot seem to replicate this on SharePoint online.

Any help would be great. 

2 Replies

@Dickie1305 when you post a news story the news web part will put it first in the list so users will know that it's the most recent story. There is no way out-of-the-box to flag it as "new".

Also there isn't a button or web part where the user can prove they have read the item. You could send them a link to the story via an approval flow in Power Automate and once they click the submit button in the email the flow saves their details and the details of the item they "read" to a list in SharePoint. We use this method for safety notifications where users have a requirement to read them and we have to show they have clicked the Submit button in the approval email.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

Thanks Rob

At least I can stop myself going crazy on the “New” flag. Will consider that closed.

Useful tip on the “Read” acknowledgement flow. Will have our developers look at that in more detail.

Thanks again.

Richard