Automate Notification Rules Behavior Changed Unexpectedly

Copper Contributor

We have several libraries and lists configured with the built-in Automate rules to notify specified users of changes to the items or documents in those lists. Since inception, the email notifications always have shown "SharePoint Online" as the sender. As of yesterday, those notifications stopped showing "SharePoint Online" as the sender and instead show the name of the user-developer (e.g. "John Doe") who created the list, library and the associated Automate rules.

This is confusing employees who receive these email notifications and disrupting how they respond to them. And, the user who created the content is now being inundated with an inbox of sent email confirmations, auto replies, questions about why he sent the notification, etc.  As a result of the frequent and large number of notifications that are generated, it is proving quite disruptive to our normal workflow.

Any insight from anyone on why this is now happening? 

3 Replies

@Randy Moore no doubt Microsoft have changed somethibg (they do this frequently). My advice would be to create instant flows directly in Power Automate that when a item is modified in a list an email is sent from a shared Outlook 365 mailbox.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@Randy Moore  I am experiencing the same challenge.  Happened the same day to my site also.  Any chance sharepoint is addressing this issue?

I spoke with MS support who was unable to find any internal documentation regarding how or why MS changed the sender of email notifications from "SharePoint Online" to the name of the user who created the rule when using the "Automate" notification rules available on SharePoint Online lists and libraries. He was able to confirm a "silent" change did occur in SP Online, and there is no way to revert back.

I have chosen to create a separate "admin" user account that I will use to recreate the Automate rules (which are several) on the effected lists and libraries. This will take my general user account out of the mix for the constant flow of email notifications. The other option of creating a shared mailbox and then recreating all these rules using Power Automate was going to be too time consuming. The built-in Automate rules are sufficient for how we use the notifications.