Outlook for Mac 365 crashes during startup

Copper Contributor

I'm among those whose Outlook for Mac search stopped cataloging after the update to Monterey 12.1. Now, having restarted my laptop, Outlook is crashing every time I try to start the app. Anyone have a fix on this? So frustrating

55 Replies

@Iamthemaven I think that it did (but I made backups of the folders from the group containers like in the previous workaround).  The user had a bunch of folders that she had created in Outlook, but they don't seem to be there anymore.  I am able to see the inbox build if I leave the window up that had the "Add another Account" button, but the previous folders did not show up.  It seems it was only the current emails from the Comcast account.

When I click "Done" after adding the account, the app crashes again.  So if you are thinking of going the route I did, it does seem to lose any emails not on the Comcast server, and still did not fix the issue.  An unfortunate lose/lose, and I can't recommend it.

Oh yeah I'd be royally screwed.
I got it to stop crashing. I hope this helps.

I suspected that the POP settings on my Comcast email might be the issue.

After chatting with my husband, and trying the repair tools available (which aren't up to date yet, YAY) I went into my settings Finder>Applications>Outlook (Option Key)>Show Package Contents>Profile Manager. Then I created a new profile. Named it something like "test email". Made it the default. OPENED OUTLOOK. It did not crash. I got prompted to set up my new email. and it defaulted to IMAP settings. Let it do it's thing. I went into my keychain and deleted the email password for the pop settings. THEN, I switched back to the Main Identity.

Opened outlook (no crash!) and then immediately went into the account and turned off send and receive for the pop account.

It's working, it's still angry and trying to open the pop account, but as soon as I am confident it won't nuke everything when I remove it from my account list, I'll delete it.

Ahhhhh....

Hope this helps folks.
Thanks lamthemaven. My Outlook version [365] os a little different.
From MS Tech Community creating a new profile
From Finder, open the Applications folder.
Ctrl+click or right-click Microsoft Outlook, and then click Show Package Contents.
I think Option-Click is good on Mac
Open Contents > SharedSupport, and then double-click Outlook Profile Manager.
Select the profile that you want as default.
click Set the default profile.

I then followed your steps of starting my Comcast accounts on "fresh" profile and making sure they worked.
I then deleted all Comcast Pas from KeyChain.
I switched back to "Main" profile, and Outlook opened.
If I clicked on the inbox of a Comcast account, - CRASH; but at least Outlook reopened.
So, I deleted Comcast accounts, and re-installed.
I would note that some Comcast accounts had a yellow dot to the left in the account list. I deleted all - yellow or green.
So far, this works.
I have most docs on Comcast or Gmail servers, so I can't say if anything is lost right now.
I'm just glad we're making progress. :) I was sweating a bit last night working on it.

@Iamthemaven anyone have any luck yet?  I too am a Comcast email address holder.....

yes! scroll up. two of us had success creating new mail identities. :)
see my post of Jan 27 and lamthemaven, same date.
If you follow the steps of
- creating new Outlook profile and making it default; [remember name of your old default profile]
- opening Outlook, now with the new default profile, and testing one Comcast account;
- closing out of Outlook;
- deleting all Comcast e-mail passwords from saved passwords/keychain;
- changing back to "old" profile as default;
- start outlook.
For me - Outlook now did not crash. Non-Comcast e-mails worked, as before. If Comcast e-mails asked for PW, I said no .I did not worry about losing old e-mails, but you may be able to rescue some before doing the next step. Then, I went to accounts and deleted all Comcast accounts and entered them as new accounts, making sure they were IMAP. They populated with all the folders stored on the Comcast server [as before the crash]. Things have worked since then.

@photodoc 

Outlook continues to crash as soon as I open, therefore I’m unable to do these steps.  

Sorry to hear it - I don't know what else too tell you, other than some folks in this series of posts had to [I believe] start all over again, with a new profile..

Has anyone updates on this?

My problems are exatly as described with Outlook 365 crashing on startup - commenced midweek last week (around 22/5/2022).

Latest versions of 365 and Mneterey 12.4 here.

Hi Adrian,
It almost drove me crazy and the "resolution" in my case was to do a Force Quit before it crashed. Speculation is that it was an update of Outlook that hadn't successfully installed, although I don't have confirmation of that guess.

i too am having this problem, but i do not have a comcast account. I'm on a brand new macbook air and everything is up to date. when i try to use the web version, none of my emails are there, that's weird right?

I am not super IT literate, so i have tried most of the solutions posted with no success.

this is what I get (though i have no idea what any of it means!):

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
ExceptionEnumString: 1
Exception Code: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0000000000000088)
Date/Time: 2022-07-05 18:40:13 +0000
Application Name: Microsoft Outlook
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Outlook
Application Signature: OPIM
Application Bitness: x64
Application Version: 16.62.0.22061100
Crashed Module Name: CoreFoundation
Crashed Module Version: 1863
Crashed Module Offset: 0x0000000000022da4
Blame Module Name: Microsoft Outlook
Blame Module Version: 16.62.22061100
UnsymbolicatedChecksum: 00634B5B621DDDCED6C294E4004C996D
Blame Module Offset: 0x0000000000036a10
StackHash: b453d1e9a4cb6873_1_main_phx_arm
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409
Build Type: Release
Crashed thread Stack Pointer: 0x_000000016fa49d10
Crashed thread: 0

@gsander81 So, it was much too frustrating doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.  My solution...I stopped using Outlook for Mac and switched to the Apple Client Email.  Although shorter than Outlook in features, its interoperability is far more friendly and compatible with all my Apple devices.  

@KennyE I got nowhere with any of the suggested fixes either,  so bit the bullet and went for a factory reset on the iMac - since then ( :crossed_fingers:) no more trouble.

Hope this helps.

@rabbirex 

Maybe late, but this fixed the issue for me:

• Quit Mac Outlook.
  • Now, open Terminal App.
  • Here, enter following command and press Enter button.

defaults write com.microsoft.Outlook DisablePreviewForSMIME 1

• After that, enter the below command:

killall cfprefsd

• Now, close Terminal app >> Restart your system >> Open Mac Outlook.