Teams external chat

Copper Contributor

Hey All,

As of today i have users reporting issues with external chat functionality. For some reason all external users (even if they are Teams users) are shown as Skype for Business users. When opening an existing external Teams chat, it display the message "due to an organization change this chat is no longer availlable Please continue your chat here".

When the user clicks on the link they are directed to a Skype chat. The external user can recieve the chat in Teams. When the external user replies back, the chat i sent to a Teams chat for the internal user, but they cannot respond unless they use the Skype chat.

I wonder how this can suddenly happen without us changing any tenant-settings in the last six months. Maybe you guys have a sugestion on how this can happen. Just to clarify, we have been in Island mode since the beginning (6 years ago) and never had any issues untill today.

Thanks!

16 Replies
Hello,
Can you create a test TeamsOnly user to compare?

"the Skype for Business handles the following integrations that aren't handled in Teams Islands mode:
External (federated) communications."

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/teams-and-skypeforbusiness-coexistence-and-interoper...

@Andres Gorzelany 

I can confirm that I have this issue with an external organisation that have never used SfB to my knowledge, along side my organisation who has never used SfB. If nothing has changed either side, why are we seeing this?

So the other org is TeamsOnly?
We have the same issue here. So if you have a solution let me know. Thx
I have found a temporary workaround, in the app on my iPhone the chat function works perfect.

@Andres Gorzelany 

Both sides are Teams only, yes. I have checked this morning and I get prevented from sending a Teams message on the web (https://teams.microsoft.com) and via the Windows client. The Android client allows sending messages but warns that the contact "might be using Skype for Business. They will see your message if they sign back in to Teams"

After closer inspection of the users in my tenant, i found that the following user settings was set incorrectly.

InterpretedUserType : PureOnlineSfBUserWithTeamsLicense

I then forced the UpgradeToTeams policy to get the users InterpretedUserType changed to

InterpretedUserType : PureOnlineTeamsOnlyUser

Once this has been set wait 24 hours for it to properly set the user type. Let the user logout and login again and you should be good to go.

Steps to take:

1. Connect to MicrosoftTeams powershell
  2. Use the command Get-CSOnlineUser Email address removed
  3. Check the output for the InterpretedUserType. If it set to PureOnlineSfbUserWithTeamsLicense and the TeamsUpgradeEffectiveMode is set to Island the user needs to be migrated manually.
  4. Run the Grant-CsTeamsUpgradePolicy Email address removed -PolicyName UpgradeToTeams
  5. Check the migration status with the command Get-CsMeetingMigrationStatus
  6. The status "Pending" and "Succeeded" are correct statusses. If any other status is displayed please consult Microsoft Support.
  7. Use the command Get-CSOnlineUser Email address removed
  8. Check the output for the InterpretedUserType. If it set to PureOnlineTeamsOnlyUser and the TeamsUpgradeEffectiveMode is set to TeamsOnly.
  9. Up to 24 hours after the migration the Teams back-end needs to catch up with the changes so funky chat behaviour might occur for the user(s)
  10. Logoff and logon into the Teams client. If the behaviour persist uninstall Teams entirely, remove all Teams folders from "Program files" and "Appdata\Local" and "Appdata\Roaming". Restart the user-machine and reinstall Teams.

After i followed this list the user that i have migrated could use Teams as intended. Hope that this is usefull for you guys.

Yes, i have tested this with a test-tentant we have on the side.
I have checked this for myself and a colleague and I've got;
InterpretedUserType == AADConnectEnabledOnlineTeamsOnlyUser
TeamsUpgradeEffectiveMode == TeamsOnly

@SkeedCompton 

That is the correct usertype if you are using Azure AD connect with Teams only.

• Did you sync all the msRTCSIP and msExch attributes from AD to Azure AD?
  • If you check the useraccount in Azure AD, does it (still) have a SIP proxyaddress?
  • Are you using Exchange Full Hybrid? If so, is the Exchange Online in/outbound connector still validated?
  • Do external users show as Skype of Teams users?

Also you could turn off the external access wait for 4 to 24 hours and turn it on again. Please keep in mind that turning it on might take another 24 hours to be populated again in the Teams back-end.

I have the same issue. I also checked the InterpretedUserType on two of my users (one has no problems, the other cannot write to one specific organization) same on both --> AADConnectEnabledOnlineTeamsOnlyUser

Both organizations changed nothing, but I noticed that the Admin Panel looks a bit different since the last time I looked into it. Also, new is the message "
User xy is part of an organization. It's possible they have messaging-related policies that apply to chat."
Besides that, since today, some of our users are not be able to send GIFs anymore. The button is missing.

@kevin91,

Can you check if you run the commands in the pictures shown below you get the same output?

MicrosoftTeams-image.pngMicrosoftTeams-image2.pngMicrosoftTeams-image3.png

@JeroenKIT1605 @kevin91 and all. This is a heads-up that the following has rolled out ON as default.

Microsoft Teams users can now chat with any Teams user outside their organization - Microsoft Tech C...

Tenant level: CsTenantFederationConfiguration

• AllowTeamsConsumer
  • AllowTeamsConsumerInbound

User level: CsExternalAccessPolicy

• EnableTeamsConsumerAccess
  • EnableTeamsConsumerInbound

@JeroenKIT1605 

Yes, it looks the same.

kevin91_0-1644234223834.png

@ChristianJBergstrom,

I understand the contents of the post you shared. However, i wonder why this causes the external chat to stop functioning all of a sudden. Besides our company did not change any settings latelly. And the settings you sugested where already in place before the issue arose. The issue was between Teams to Teams bussiness users.

@kevin91 

Does it allow external domains as shown in the below command.

Schermafbeelding 2022-02-07 135039.png

Simply a heads-up. If nothing has changed in your org. for federation though most likely something has changed at the federated companys org. settings. And if no change there either, a support ticket is the obvious choice and not posting here really.

But there’s three topics to consider.

1. Federation
2. Teams consumer
3. Skype consumer

And the settings associated using PS.

@JeroenKIT1605 

Yes, AllowAllKnownDomains:

kevin91_0-1644564157805.png