SOLVED

Teams audio (input and output) not working with Remote Desktop, audio input/output in other apps OK

Copper Contributor

Hello,

Microsoft Teams does not play (output) or record (input) audio, when trying Teams call on a remote PC (connected with Windows Remote Desktop client).

• Sony WH-1000XM2 headphones connected to the local PC
  • Remote Desktop audio settings in the local PC:Aaapo_0-1604554186717.png
  • Audio test on the remote PC with https://online-voice-recorder.com/ -> recording and playback OK (everything I recorded with the headphones can be heard via the headphones)
  • Audio test on the remote PC with Teams: with the only available settings for Audio devices (Custom Setup), Speaker (Remote Audio), Microphone (Remote Audio) -> Make a test call
    • Bell ringing, but when connection to Teams Echo established, then no audio can be heard
    • If I hang up the call, I can hear the Teams Echo voice for a while, say sub-second

Microsoft Teams version 1.3.00.28779 (64-bit).

Any fix proposals would be appreciated. Thanks.

8 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)

Hi Felipe,

Thanks for the response.

I checked the list of supported remote desktop RDP file settings: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/rdp-files

My settings:

screen mode id:i:2
use multimon:i:1
desktopwidth:i:2560
desktopheight:i:1440
session bpp:i:15
winposstr:s:0,1,3485,763,4367,1849
compression:i:1
keyboardhook:i:2
audiocapturemode:i:1
videoplaybackmode:i:1
connection type:i:7
networkautodetect:i:1
bandwidthautodetect:i:1
displayconnectionbar:i:1
enableworkspacereconnect:i:0
disable wallpaper:i:0
allow font smoothing:i:0
allow desktop composition:i:0
disable full window drag:i:1
disable menu anims:i:1
disable themes:i:0
disable cursor setting:i:0
bitmapcachepersistenable:i:1
full address:s:(hidden)
audiomode:i:0
redirectprinters:i:1
redirectcomports:i:0
redirectsmartcards:i:1
redirectclipboard:i:1
redirectposdevices:i:0
autoreconnection enabled:i:1
authentication level:i:2
prompt for credentials:i:0
negotiate security layer:i:1
remoteapplicationmode:i:0
alternate shell:s:
shell working directory:s:
gatewayhostname:s:
gatewayusagemethod:i:4
gatewaycredentialssource:i:4
gatewayprofileusagemethod:i:0
promptcredentialonce:i:0
gatewaybrokeringtype:i:0
use redirection server name:i:0
rdgiskdcproxy:i:0
kdcproxyname:s:
drivestoredirect:s:

Relevant settings both in my list and in the supported RDP file settings are audiocapturemode (1: Enable audio capture from the local device and redirection to an audio application in the remote session), and audiomode (0: Play sounds on the local computer (Play on this computer)). But as said, other applications on the remote PC can successfully use my local microphone, and redirect also audio output back to my local PC. It's just Teams that does not work.

Have I missed some RDP setting in the list, though? Thanks for the help! :)

@Aaapo 

I'm having almost the exact same problem (with the exact same settings).  I assume you're using a bluetooth headset?  I'm seeing the same behavior with my Surface Headphones (including briefly hearing the Teams voice echo when I hang up).

The only difference is that my mic worked fine (the others in my meeting could hear me, I just couldn't hear them).  One oddity was that my headphones automatically kicked on the noise cancellation mode -- which is the same behavior as when they're connected directly to the device that Teams is running on (vs. over RDP).

Did you ever find a resolution?

@EarlMason Same issue here with Bluetooth headset WH-1000XM3. It used to work fine but I think my computer updated recently. When I open teams or slack or zoom, the sound is cut.

I think it stopped working after update on the host of the remote desktop connexion not the target.

I'm having exactly the same issue with my Surface Earbuds. I'm on the latest version of Win 10 Pro, version 20H2, build 19042.867. This used to work. This is quite disappointing, especially for Microsoft premium earbuds. This should "JUST WORK", borrowing the line form the other vendor lol. Is this in Microsoft bug list?

@EarlMason  Accidentally got back to this thread after all these months :) To answer your question: no, couldn't resolve the original issue. My solution was to purchase new Logitech headphones, which work seamlessly over the remote desktop connection.. so the original issue persists.

Does Microsoft have anyone to look into this issue? We have provided detailed description of the problem.

Ok. so I *maybe* have a resolution here. At least in my situation. (Bose QC45)

It seems like the bluetooth headphones go into "call" mode. which means it switches the output from "headphones" to "headset". (For the microphone to function on my machine, devices were set to "output: Headphone" and "input: headset".)

Once a call is activated, headphones change mode, output gets swapped to headset, and remote desktop doesn't get updated.

Using the sound control panel I my primary machine I set the default device and default communication device to the headset. Theoretically this means my sound quality when I go back to using it normally this evening will be terrible. But initial testing seems to show it working in a Teams call now.

This has been an incredibly frustrating journey, and I will not at all be surprised if they stop working for my afternoon meeting.

@Andrew1525Thanks! This worked. Kind of a hassle but I will take it.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)