Shared Calendar issue (Teams vs Outlook)

Copper Contributor

For a small company and team, I want to have a shared calendar to keep everyone up-to-date on days-off, holidays, vacations, wfh, work in office, etc. I want the team to be able to view this shared calendar in a Teams channel, as it's a main hub for Team-related communication. As they will also see this calendar show up in Outlook

After creating a group in Sharepoint I was able to have its shared calendar show up in Teams. 

When I add events to that calendar in Teams they show up in the respective calendar in Outlook.

However, if I create and even in the same calendar in Outlook, these events do not show up Teams.

How can I make it so all events sync up on both apps?

5 Replies

@mvanderzande The Teams channel calendar tab shows a subset of appointments from the group calendar that were originally created from that channel. It won't show appointments that were created from another channel (even though they are in the same calendar) and it won't show appointments created in Outlook.

There isn't an alternative tab that will display what you want that I know of.

@Steven Collier 

Thanks for your answer!

I was afraid that would be the case. I often have a hard time understanding Microsoft's convoluted logic. 

Besides the approach I perceived as "sensible" do you know of an alternative (best) practice? I'm really just looking for a simple way to show the attendance of the team...

@mvanderzande Users will need to put these things in their personal calendar anyway, so why duplicate effort to create another copy, just share your calendar and use Outlook to show them all together.

Teams doesn't have a good solution to show this in that client, but you will see the free/busy when you attempt to book things.

@Steven Collier Agree on not duplicating things. The idea though is to show 'communal' events in the Teams agenda. I mean, it's there for a reason one would think? :)

The weird thing is that it does not show everything, or rather does not show events in Teams entered in Outlook, though it DOES show events entered in Teams in Outlook... don't understand the logic there.

@mvanderzande There are multiple channels per team, so the channel calendar needs to show only the events from that channel, that's it's purpose. It's for a different scenario to the one you are proposing. 

As I said, for your purpose the simplest route is to just get people to share their calendars with each other, then open them all in Outlook.