SOLVED

Microsoft Teams is not listed on my iphone's privacy microphone setting

Copper Contributor

Hi! 

My problem is that Microsoft Teams is not listed on my iphone's  privacy microphone setting, where apps requesting access to my phone's microphone should be listed, therefore I can't allow microphone access and can't make calls etc. on Teams. I tried everything, nothing I Googled helped, tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app (multiple times!), tried installing the app using a different apple ID too.  I tried clearing app data both via iPhone settings menu via Teams' settings menu etc.

When I first ever installed the app I probably disabled the microphone access, but after uninstalling and reinstalling the app, it only asks me again if I allow notifications, but doesn't ask me if I allow microphone or camera any more. There's no option for me to click Agree. Please would Microsoft be able to fix this phenomenon on the app and send an app update or help some way?

I echo everyone's comment on here too: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/unable-to-grant-mic-permission-on-teams-ipad-a...

Just like in @Fatima_470's post under Settings>Teams app>Allow Teams to Access list, Microphone (and Camera) is not listed either. All the mentioned issues seem to be still unresolved.

24 Replies

@df777 I cannot reproduce, I even uninstalled and reinstalled on my iPhone 7. If you go to Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone, can you find "Teams" in the list there?

If that alternative approach doesn't work, could you provide me with the following information so I can raise with the Product Group?

• iPhone model
  • iOS version
  • Teams app build version (you can find this in the app, Settings -> Info)
  • A screenshot of both Settings -> Teams and Settings -> Privacy -> Microphone

Hi @Yannick Reekmans 

I can't see Teams under Settings > Privacy > Microphone, the list is blank... 

iPhone SE

iOS 13.5.1

Teams Build 1.077.2020062609, Version 2.0.15

iPhone Settings > Microsoft TeamsiPhone Settings > Microsoft TeamsLogged into Teams > SettingsLogged into Teams > SettingsiPhone Settings > Privacy > MicrophoneiPhone Settings > Privacy > Microphone

I could enable Contacts and the Camera via logging into Teams > More > clicking Calls and Camera icons, thus these show up under iPhone settings > Teams.

This phenomenon might be caused when installing Microsoft Teams app, I’d like to test for you for confirmation, but since I don’t have iPad device in my Office, I cannot test it at present, your understanding is appreciated. Regarding this issue, I recommend you could try to clear app data or re-install Microsoft Teams app from the app store, then when you open Microsoft Teams app next time, view whether it will prompt to let you agree Microsoft Teams to use microphone of the device. If so, just select Agree, Microsoft Teams should be able to use microphone of iPad.

Hi @Lewis-H 

Thanks for trying to help, but as I have stated in my initial post I have tried to uninstall, reinstall, clearing app data etc. etc. numerous times. Deleted Teams app, turned iphone off and on, then run iOS latest software update, rebooted, even created a new Apple ID then logged in to the App Store and reinstalled Teams, and NO prompt to allow the microphone, only asks if I allow notifications.  

@df777 I'll get this over to the Product Group, see if they have a suggestion.

Thank you for your help @Yannick Reekmans. I look forward to hearing from the Product Group.

Is it possible to know when they may be able to look into this and respond? Thank you.

Hi @Yannick Reekmans ! Is there any development on this or feedback from the Product Group? Thank you.

@df777 They are aware of my report, haven't heard back yet. I'll ping them again to get a status update.

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@df777 The PG responded with a whole set of options for you to try. It's not a known issue and they can't pinpoint with certainty, but hopefully one of these can help you out.

Please also let me know if this helps you resolve it.

Managed device

Do you happen to have your device managed by your company? It might be that they have a policy to block the usage of the microphone.

Reset network settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network settings. Your device might restart automatically, but if it doesn't, please restart manually. You will have to reconnect your network settings when your device reboots. Afterwards, open Teams and it should now prompt you for mic access.
Just to be clear, there is impact doing this reset. Please check out this page to be fully informed: https://www.howtogeek.com/270185/how-to-reset-your-ios-devices-network-settings-and-fix-connection-i...
Fix comes from Apple support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269841

No apps are showing under Privacy -> Microphone

Looking at your screenshot of that page, you have no apps in there. I have multiple, some very high profile: Facebook, Skype, WhatsApp, etc. If you really don't have any of those apps on your device, it's ok, but if you do: there might be a phone failure here.
Even apps that you don't have approved should show up.

As a general test, can you try installing "Skype" consumer app? It should also prompt you and show up in that list.

Teams for Personal

Last option: uninstall Teams app, reinstall. Upon opening the app, sign up for a Teams for Personal account with your personal Microsoft account. This should also trigger the microphone ask again.

Hi @Yannick Reekmans 

Thank you for trying to help. In answer to your questions:

Managed device - my phone is my personal one, not managed by a company.

Resetting network settings - I tried this, didn't work. I only received a prompt for notification access, and syncing contact, but now request for permitting microphone.

No apps showing under Privacy > Microphone - I didn't have any other apps you mentioned installed (e.g. Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype etc). I tried installing Skype as you suggested and same thing as above, only prompt from notification and syncing contact. Skype didn't show up under Privacy > Microphone list either...

Teams for personal - Tried this too, only prompt from notification and syncing contact. Still no show under Privacy > Microphone list...

I think at this point I just give up... 

Thank you for your and your team's help. Best wishes.

I had the same problem with iphone 8. I fixt this by using the function ‘reset all settings‘ . You will keep your data but it will restore all settings. When the reset is finisht, you have to open Teams again. Now the message will appear you promit access to your microfone and camera etc.

@Matthias1986 @Yannick Reekmans 

I am experiencing the same issue. Followed the 'Reset Network' steps and Teams automatically rebooted.  No change to microphone options. 

iOS 14.0.1

Teams Version 2.0.22 

Teams Build 1.077.2020991903

I did it and it’s work, thanks a lot
Keeping this thread alive since this issue followed me from an old IPhone SE to an Iphone SE 2020.
Two things required for me to get the microphone and camera prompts in Teams:
1. Reset All Settings
2. Enable Siri

I was then prompted immediately in Teams for both camera and microphone when I went to create a meeting.

Reset All Settings alone did NOT restore the Teams prompts, and I have had Siri disabled since it was introduced. For some reason, enabling Siri was also required.

i have iphone 6s and ios 14.4 , i have the same issue and not microphone is under the list . @Yannick Reekmans 

@vahid_hajjari Have you tried the suggestions offered in the previous posts? I have reached out before to the Microsoft Teams PG regarding this issue, and that's all the information they could offer me.

If none of the above suggestions solved it for you, I suggest you log a ticket at support.

@khanh0910 and @Matthias1986 - thanks ! Reset Network Settings worked for me too! I reset network settings, went through the reboot, opened the Teams app, and it worked, Mic and all. Was quite frustrating for a bit. This looks more like an iOS problem - time to bring back Windows Phone LOL!

I did not try the "Reset Network Settings" that worked for others, but what worked for me was force closing every other app that was running. My theory is that one of the other apps was holding the microphone, so Teams could not ask for it before sending you to settings. It has to request access before it appears in privacy.

This is still broken four years after it was originally reported to one of the largest software companies in the world by hundreds of enterprise users...  Open source is coming and the collective clownshow from MS/Apple/Google/Amazon for the past decade is driving it.  This is just one of hundreds of examples of critical, mission-breaking bugs they've been unable or unwilling to fix for months or years bleeding the customers who are in a position to leave and making the rest desperate for the day they have an option which is coming due to the tidal wave of basic tools being developed by adults in response to, well, this.

@df777 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@df777 The PG responded with a whole set of options for you to try. It's not a known issue and they can't pinpoint with certainty, but hopefully one of these can help you out.

Please also let me know if this helps you resolve it.

Managed device

Do you happen to have your device managed by your company? It might be that they have a policy to block the usage of the microphone.

Reset network settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network settings. Your device might restart automatically, but if it doesn't, please restart manually. You will have to reconnect your network settings when your device reboots. Afterwards, open Teams and it should now prompt you for mic access.
Just to be clear, there is impact doing this reset. Please check out this page to be fully informed: https://www.howtogeek.com/270185/how-to-reset-your-ios-devices-network-settings-and-fix-connection-i...
Fix comes from Apple support forums: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251269841

No apps are showing under Privacy -> Microphone

Looking at your screenshot of that page, you have no apps in there. I have multiple, some very high profile: Facebook, Skype, WhatsApp, etc. If you really don't have any of those apps on your device, it's ok, but if you do: there might be a phone failure here.
Even apps that you don't have approved should show up.

As a general test, can you try installing "Skype" consumer app? It should also prompt you and show up in that list.

Teams for Personal

Last option: uninstall Teams app, reinstall. Upon opening the app, sign up for a Teams for Personal account with your personal Microsoft account. This should also trigger the microphone ask again.

View solution in original post