SOLVED

Microsoft Teams - iPad app

Copper Contributor

Hi all, 

Due to the current climate, my workplace (secondary school) is switching to using the Microsoft Office platform to deliver our classes remotely. We currently use windows laptops but being a Mathematics teacher I also use my iPad to do particularly tricky sketches. 

My current problem is that I have downloaded Microsoft teams to my iPad and it is the latest version, however I am unable to make "meetings" on the iPad. This feature is enabled by the school as I can do it on my laptop. 

I have looked into trouble shooting the issue and it seems to have been an issue since 2017 but none of the trouble shooting I've tried has worked. 

A colleague of mine started a meeting which I was then able to join on my iPad, but I am unable to actually find the button or where on the app I can start a meeting from. 

Is anyone able to please share some insight as to what I can do? Alternatively provide me with a recommendation on how I can use my iPad as a tablet to then connect to my laptop so I can continue to sketch on that; cast the iPad screen to my laptop and then I can share my screen (laptop) with the students? 

Apologies for the long winded questioning, I want to ensure that I am able to maximise my abilities to teach remotely in this particularly difficult time. 

Kind Regards

22 Replies

@angela_salesian I am experiencing the exact same frustration- I don’t think it’s possible- which seems bizarre to me.  If I can join a meeting it seems to work great — I can share my screen, run a powerpoint, have live captions,... But for some reason there doesn’t seem to be any way to start a meeting.

I can create meetings in the Teams app but it never seems to associate with any sort of video/conference ability.

The only workaround I’ve seen is to remote into a Mac, log into Teams in Chrome, go to Calendar, and Click Meet Now.   I can then click the participants button, click the Link  icon and copy the link.  Then I paste the info into Notes which syncs to my iPad,  I click the link in Notes on my iPad which opens in Safari and the teams invite page says I have to download the Teams app for Mac.  I switch Safari to Mobile view, refresh and it gives me the option to open in the mobile Teams app.   I can share the link out to other people to but who knows if they’ll be able to open it?  I can never seem to get the share link from the Teams app..   This seems crazy...

There has to be a better way... what am I missing?

@angela_salesian 

Go to calendar on Teams, set a meeting there. Link it to your channel if you want to.

Then it should appear on your channel. You can join there.

That was the suggestion from out digital learning department.

Hope that helps.

@angela_salesian 

Hi, seems I’ve managed to solve this problem. 

I’ve got my WINDOWS PC with teams desktop version  and an IPad Pro with its teams mobile version. 

So, I start a meeting on my PC  since you can always do that and THEN JOIN the ongoing meeting on my iPad by clicking the JOIN button in the chat ( on your iPad you just go to Teams, find the team you need and press JOIN in the chat). As a result you can use both devices linked to the same Teams account  at the same time. Just remember to mute one of them to avoid the echo. 

Now, you should start sharing YOUR SCREEN ON IPAD. I use GoodNotes, which acts as a whiteboard (or blackboard haha). Or you may use a different app or just Apple Notes, whatever works best for you. As soon as you start writing something on your IPad, everyone in the meeting can see that. And on your PC screen you can also see what you are sharing with the rest of the group, thus you can  use your iPad as a digital board. 

Hope that helps. 

best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@AngelaV @vladimir_msk 

I too am a secondary school Maths teacher!

We have used OneNote for a few years but have started using Teams since lockdown, so we are all on a steep learning curve!

We had the same problem and our IT Dept came up with something that worked.

On a PC (or I used Citrix to remote into my school PC desktop as I am iPad only at home) go to the online version of Teams and go to the Team you are trying to use.

Click on Files and after a minute or two a “Class Materials” folder should be created here (this is as feature of Class Teams and is where you can store files that you want to be read-only to students - like the Content Library in OneNote).

Then when you go to the iPad app everything should work properly.

It worked for me, as they say!

This should mean you don’t need to use PC and iPad together to create and run meetings.

I too am a big GoodNotes fan.  a lovely app.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

@stephen1729 I can  join my meeting by going on the calendar. My problem is sharing a screen if I am on the iPad and not on a computer 

@vladimir_msk 

Let me start with a disclaimer; I am a greenhorn to MS Team so my observation may be mistaken. I understand you cannot start a meeting today here and now on MS Teams on the Ipad (iOS). If most of the other Apps can initiate a Meeting on the Ipad, I do not see why it should be any different with Microsoft Teams for iPad Pro; it may be ok to start a meeting on the PC then move to the Tablet, but often we are not lugging with both equipment. If I am right then Microsoft needs to up its game on this, it should have equal of not more capable resources than Zoom and the ilk. 

@The_Maruti If you use the work around I talk about earlier in the thread, and do it just once, then after that you will be able to initiate Meetings from the iPad app.  Hope this helps.

@stephen1729 

Thanks! You have redeemed a distressed soul; I will give it a shot and share my experience.

@vladimir_msk 

Hi this solution worked for me perfectly 10 days ago (starting the meeting from Mac, participating from iPad and sharing the ppt and virtual blackboard from iPad), then I made the mistake to update my iPad Pro to iOS 13.5 and now when I start sharing my screen, other participants just see my user profile image (see attachment). 

For anyone who may have also this problem, I found that connecting with Mac from browser (I use Chrome) and then sharing from iPad... it works! 

Hope it may help

best

@stephen1729 

Hi

I work in the college sector and I'm trying to get Teams to start an ad hoc meeting with some students for revision practice. I'm having the same problem as you did. I tried your suggestion but the file 'Class Materials' didn't appear under the team 'Files'. I'm guessing it's because you have set up your class team in a certain way?

Thanks

@NCL_Jason 

If it is an ad hoc meeting, do you need the whole apparatus of a Team for the class.  You could just have a Call which includes them all.

I didn’t actually set up my class Teams, the IT Dept did that.  But I don’t think they did anything special in the way the Team was set up, so I doubt it was that.

I was hoping Microsoft would have fixed the problem with the iPad app by now anyway.

Sorry I can’t be more help.

Stephen

@stephen1729 

Thanks for the reply, really appreciate it. I'll keep digging.

@angela_salesian 

1. The good news first - Microsoft Teams does work perfectly fine on iPad! I am using iPad Pro.

2. Only they haven’t let it be simple, commonsensical, intuitive usability  as is norm in most of the apps.

3. If you want to use any app outside of ms teams then you just can’t open photos or YouTube or any other app. Moment you do that screen sharing stops and the message flashes.

4. Way out is the ‘MORE...’ section. As you would press it there is ‘Camera’ that takes you to the camera roll as well as white board. Then there is ‘Files’ that takes you to videos and Documents. There is more too. 
5. So don’t go direct to other apps rather go via ‘More’

@stephen1729  did you miss Astro how does going to files creat a meeting link?

It worked I set up an all day meeting for weekdays and will add my channels then they can use the link in teams to join the meeting

@angela_salesian to only use my iPad Pro 2020 for Teams meetings I do the following:

1. Schedule all Teams meetings using the Outlook calendar app on my iPad (it has an option to make it a Teams meeting)

2. Use the Teams app on my iPad to join the meeting (includes Video/Audio)

Note:

1. The Teams app only allows the option to 'Blur Background'

2. There is an option to Share Screen https://youtu.be/Wk-P5ZJa0f4

3. The web version of Teams using Safari on my iPad Pro does not allow Video

Hope this helps

@stephen1729 

but do it help with creating and starting meeting directly from channel page?

I have the same issue. I can share a power point screen, but not excel or any other app..

@Jane313 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@AngelaV @vladimir_msk 

I too am a secondary school Maths teacher!

We have used OneNote for a few years but have started using Teams since lockdown, so we are all on a steep learning curve!

We had the same problem and our IT Dept came up with something that worked.

On a PC (or I used Citrix to remote into my school PC desktop as I am iPad only at home) go to the online version of Teams and go to the Team you are trying to use.

Click on Files and after a minute or two a “Class Materials” folder should be created here (this is as feature of Class Teams and is where you can store files that you want to be read-only to students - like the Content Library in OneNote).

Then when you go to the iPad app everything should work properly.

It worked for me, as they say!

This should mean you don’t need to use PC and iPad together to create and run meetings.

I too am a big GoodNotes fan.  a lovely app.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

View solution in original post