SOLVED

How to permanently delete chat conversation after scheduled meeting concludes

Brass Contributor

Hey community

Quick question for you, we are looking to automatically delete all the messages inside the chat conversation once a scheduled meeting concludes.

I tried to create a retention policy to delete the messages older than 1 day, this worked only for conversations inside channels and not for chat messages inside scheduled meetings.

Do you know if there's a way to achieve this desired behavior?.

Thanks in advance for any contributions.

8 Replies

@Cristian Vergara Can you explain why you want to do this? 

The meeting conversation chat is linked to the meeting. This to go back if you need some information what was discussed during the meeting. 

I know there are retention policies, 1 for teams and channels and the other one is for chat messages (users). But not sure if they work on Meetings as well... 

Hi Crisitan - There are two different location types you can apply retention to:

1. Teams Channel Messages

2. Teams Chat

In my testing, setting a retention on Teams Chat also applies to chat in meetings, unless the meeting took place within a channel.  

Hi @Mitchell Bakker 
I appreciate the reply, we have a customer with strict security requirements and they need that all chat messages are automatically deleted after the meeting ends.
I've created the following retention policy:

RetentionPolicy.PNG

However this works only for meetings inside channels, chat conversations inside scheduled meeting with external participants are not affected by this policy.

Any idea, how can we achieve this?

Hi @Erin Scupham 
Thanks for the reply, yes I've created a retention policy and activated both options.

However scheduled meetings are not affected by this policy, and this is exactly what the customer would like to do. Usually this scheduled meetings are with external and/or guest participants.

The customer would like to have all chat messages automatically deleted upon the meeting ends. 

At this moment doesn't seem to be possible right?

best response confirmed by Cristian Vergara (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I'm not aware of a way to delete immediately via the retention policies.  I think the lowest is just one day.  

You are right @Erin Scupham 

That's the lowest option in the configuration, a quick note to let you know that after some further testing it seems to be working now. I had to enable the retention policy for all channels and chat messages.

Thanks!

@Cristian Vergara 

If I am addressing your question correctly, I typically "Leave" the conversation, then "Hide" it.  When I do that, the conversation goes away, past, present, and future.

I have the exact same issue. I scheduled a meeting with many people in Teams some time ago and someone of the external guests posted confidential data in that meetings chat by mistake. I don't see any way to get rid of this unwanted data for everyone in that session. From my perspective this is a major security issue in Teams.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Cristian Vergara (Brass Contributor)
Solution

I'm not aware of a way to delete immediately via the retention policies.  I think the lowest is just one day.  

View solution in original post