Help me get FLIP to work.

Copper Contributor

Here's my specific question (I think): How can I use Teams for Education if I already use my school email for Teams for Business?

My end goal is to be able to use the FLIP app available in Teams for Education. I intend to use FLIP as a video discussion platform for my university classes (FLIP is formerly Flipgrid, a 3rd-party tool from 2012, and acquired by Microsoft in 2018). FLIP is no longer supported by Microsoft as a 3rd-party tool. Recent news articles indicate that certain features have been integrated into Teams for Education.
- https://help.flip.com/hc/en-us/articles/23985951972375-A-New-Chapter-for-Flip-FAQ
- https://help.flip.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003080054-Microsoft-Teams-integration
- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/integrating-flip-into-microsoft-teams/fd43bd57...

My university already has a Microsoft Teams for Business account. But, FLIP isn't available for Teams for Business. As part of the tool acquisition deal, Microsoft only agreed to provide it for free for educational purposes. Therefore, the FLIP app was removed from the Teams for Business product on July 1st, 2024.  So far as I understand, FLIP is only being integrated into the Teams for Education product. I tried downloading Teams for Education, but when I install it, Teams for Business opens. I can't open Teams for Education. 

Here are my questions:

1. Sales: Can I download and use Teams for Education independently from Teams for Business? Does Teams for Education require purchasing a separate license? Would I need a separate email (apart from the email I use for Teams for Business)?
2. Teams for Business Engineers: Is there a chance similar functionality to the FLIP app will be integrated into Teams for Business? If so, when might I expect that?

Many thanks for helping me get FLIP (features) working for my students for Fall semester.

3 Replies

I'm using Teams for Education and Flip is no longer listed there either.

It looks like Microsoft bought out Flip in order to kill it because that's what it does to superior apps. As usual, Microsoft sucks!!!

@Bryan_Tanner_bbt6 

Here is what I found out about the Teams/Flip integration through back channels... FLIP is no longer available as an app in Teams, but they do have the Flip Camera feature available if you are using a "Class" template in Teams, and create a new assignment, there is an option to use the Flip Camera (with the +New button). I've tried this and it works with my Enterprise version of Teams (Business and Education). Just make sure the Team you create is created with the "Class" template.

@Bryan_Tanner_bbt6 

Thanks,

I teach TK-2nd grade students (ie 4-8 years old). They come to the computer lab one hour per week while their teacher does work in his/her classroom. Teaching kids that young how to access Teams without parental or teacher help would take too much time. I'm switching over to Padlet even though it's way less engaging and I can't lock in the settings like I could with Flip. I also can't download their videos and combine them into one presentation, at least not as easily. It's too bad. I had some kiddos last year who ONLY came to life when they used Flip.