SOLVED

Change Outlook Calendar Invite to set Teams Status to Do Not Disturb

Brass Contributor

How can I use my calendar invites in Outlook to automatically change my Teams Status to Do Not Disturb?

I schedule out specific tasks in my Outlook calendar so I can plan and manage my day better & I would like my Status to be set to Do Not Disturb in Teams during these periods similarly to this "Focus Time" feature which MS have developed.

I do not want to use this generic "Focus Time" term / feature as I like to set time aside to give my attention to a specific thing - it also helps me to remember what I should be working on and when.

Any help would be appreciated as I know the "Show As" function within an Outlook Calendar invite you can use this to Change your Teams Status to Away or Busy, but annoyingly.....not Do Not Disturb.... :S

14 Replies
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi,

Updated 2021, feedback under review

Enable Scheduled Do Not Disturb, like Slack · Community (microsoft.com)

Would recommend to vote on it to push it up the agenda. By voting on it, you'll be notified if Microsoft picks it up. I think that this would be a great feature and I would love to see it introduced so voted it up too

Best, Chris

@Christopher Hoard - That's amazing, thank you Chris! :)

@nt_n15a I am actually looking for the opposite solution - how to turn off DND during Focus Time.  Don't judge ;).  It's a necessary evil at times.  Any suggestions welcome!

Anyway - I rename and categorize (and move around) my pre-set Focus Time blocks.  This allows me to earmark time for specific activities, while maintaining inclusion in Focus Time stats.  Maybe this helps you too.

I am trying to solve for keeping the Focus Time stats + being available in Teams concurrently - struggling to find an existing solution.

That's a great idea - I will try this too!

Thanks for your help :)

@katyh432 - This feature is now available
Open MyAnalytics -> Config Settings -> Plan Configuration 
Change "Silence Teams notifications during focus time?" to No
This leaves your status set as Busy.

Same! I'd like the "Focus Time" to set my status to "Busy" like it does in Slack, not to DND...
This is it!! Thank you so much for sharing. Took me looking through 10+ search results to find this thread and your reply

@katyh432 check here

@nt_n15a In the meantime, I copy a focus meeting and repurpose it. It triggers the DND like it is a focus meeting, but can be renamed and date and time changed.

I would agree that this is a feature that would be very useful. In education, our faculty present through teams in their virtual classes. Sometimes people will call while they are in class and it disrupts class. This would be a great feature to have. Microsoft please implement this in the next revision of Outlook/Teams
In an education environment having your Outlook calendar set DND in Teams would assist staff adopt Teams calling better as currently they get a pop-up if someone is calling if they forget to set DND before they head into class.
Evening all,

Good to be back in the community. Uservoice has been carried over here and is under review

https://feedbackportal.microsoft.com/feedback/idea/1f1a1646-272e-ec11-b6e6-00224827bbc2

As the above mentioned you can copy a focus meeting. You would create one via the Viva Insights app in teams then populate it with Teams Meeting details. These trigger the DND through the Focusing status. Alternatively Viva now has something called a focus plan which you could do on a recurrent basis if you know the times you do not want to be disturbed then it will add them alongside existing meetings

Best, Chris
"@katyh432 - This feature is now available
Open MyAnalytics -> Config Settings -> Plan Configuration
Change "Silence Teams notifications during focus time?" to No
This leaves your status set as Busy."

This path doesn't exist anywhere in Teams, or Teams settings, or account settings.
Also, I'm not seeing that in Outlook settings anywhere.

Does anyone know where this is referencing, to turn off Focus Time going to DND?

@malcb13 - this is the opposite issue. We're asking to be able to set a normal meeting to DND vs. Busy/Tentative/etc. instead of having to set up a Focus Meeting and repurpose it.

@malcb13 I think they changed this back again :(  Now when i select 'allow notifications', it still sets me on DND/Focusing!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

Hi,

Updated 2021, feedback under review

Enable Scheduled Do Not Disturb, like Slack · Community (microsoft.com)

Would recommend to vote on it to push it up the agenda. By voting on it, you'll be notified if Microsoft picks it up. I think that this would be a great feature and I would love to see it introduced so voted it up too

Best, Chris

View solution in original post