SOLVED

Can't connect to external meetings from the Teams Calendar, but can from Outlook

Iron Contributor

I am getting reports from many of my users across my organization that when they try and join a Teams meeting hosted by an external third party (such as a vendor, partner, or customer), that the meeting never connects if they click Join from the Teams calendar. However, if they go to the same meeting request in Outlook, they are able to join via the web link. 

Is there any particular reason my users cannot join a Teams meeting being hosted by an outside resource directly within Teams? All of our users have been migrated to Office 365 and Exchange Online, and Teams works pretty much flawlessly otherwise. 

RESOLVED - It was Mimecast causing the issue, we simply added a URL bypass policy for teams.microsoft.com to Mimecast, so did not put a mimecast.com security URL in its place.

3 Replies

Some further testing has yielded strange results. We've tried connecting to several external tenants, and some work, while others don't. The ones that don't work connect just fine via the Outlook calendar.

best response confirmed by Brad Groux (Iron Contributor)
Solution

RESOLVED - It was Mimecast causing the issue, we simply added a URL bypass policy for teams.microsoft.com to Mimecast, so did not put a mimecast.com security URL in its place.

@Brad Groux 

any other updates on this fix?  this one seems to be directed toward the event owner, what do you do if you are the attendee?  i.e. 3rd party sending an invite to customer which happens to be me.  I am not able to join the meeting from either outlook or teams join button.  I have to paste the meeting number and password manually in teams to get it to work.  obviousely, I can't change the mimecast policy as I am the invitee and not the host.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Brad Groux (Iron Contributor)
Solution

View solution in original post