Bad Quality of Video Calls in Teams

Copper Contributor

Hi,

first time I use my private Teams account to do a video call with someone. I see that the video and audio is not in good quality. I do a dsl speed test and I have 50 MBits download, 10 Mbits upload. I shut down and call again, but the problem still appears. 

Do you know what the problem is? Does the other person has poor internet quality or it is a problem on my side?

3 Replies
I could be the other persons camera, connection, your camera etc... try calling someone else and see if it’s the same experience

Adam
its not always your up/download speed. Like Adam mentioned already, there are many other variables which can influence your experience.
One of the thing many ignore is distance where your ISP peers with Microsoft. This little tiny piece is essential, especially if you know that your service provider peers you all the time on a different continent :)

https://www.panagenda.com/2020/12/the-truth-about-your-isp-and-how-it-impacts-your-microsoft-365-per...

but for a private teams user i guess your investigation is a bit limited because you use the "free teams" license.

hope my answer helps a bit
stefan

@kimtech 

Hi Kim,

This "probably" has nothing to do with your hardware or your own specific internet connection.

This issue stems down to the surge of people using Microsoft Teams as a primary tool to continue work collaborations where as pre pandemic this kind of work would have been done face to face.

In an effort to maintain the ability to provide a tool / service "MS Teams", Microsoft "I believe" have had to force a 720p or lower quality on video to be able to accommodate the large and rapid growth and dependency upon its service. Until they expand their Teams Cloud infrastructure, you can know that this quality will not change for a while.

The other element that is effecting the quality which in turn is setting the resolution is the internet service providers and the connections end users have at their homes.

Now more then ever large amounts of people are working from home, using their "as apposed to business plans" cheaper internet connections.

Generally a residential connection has little to no service levels or priority routing. Residential connections also largely are not dedicated, you share the line in your neighborhood or area with the people surrounding you, so in a nutshell you might have a 50Mb line but really you don't. that speed is going to fluxuate through out the day depending on how many other users are using the line at the same time, and if everyone is making teams video calls, you can bet the bandwidth demand will be high hence everyone having a lower quality video and audio connection.

If you are willing to pay your ISP for a business line, something like an isolated dedicated 10g symmetrical fiber line, you will be guaranteed to have the best of the possible quality available, and any issues will come with a high SLA. "support".

ISPs favor businesses over residential customers as they pay more for better connections which are using better hardware which makes managing these connections easier then cable in most cases.

Where I am from, paying for a  residential 1G fiber line is cheaper then a 1G cable. simply because the ability to provide that kind of connection on newer equipment is easier.

this kind of connection costs approx. 65 bucks a month.

Where as my own home 62MB or 500Mb Download / 6.2MB or 50 Mb Upload Cable connection costs 90 bucks (fiber is not in my area yet) 

A business line is really expensive in most cases, simply because your not paying for the speed.

10G is nothing in a business. your paying for the downtime fault tolerance. IE the salaries of the people who are working around the clock to ensure business customers are always connected with the max speed, bandwidth and little to no connection issues.

What is pissing me off, so much, is "I too am cursed with Microsoft bandwidth limitation on video and audio, I don't understand why the ISPs "at least in my country" do not drop the whole Business Priority, and put all available man power and resources to focus on residentials users, cause lets face it, right now, there are more people working at home on their crappy residential internet connections then the empty business buildings.

R.

Dan