Office 365 AutoSave to OneDrive - how to choose the folder location where a new document is stored?

Brass Contributor

In any Office 365 application, such as Word, Excel or PowerPoint, the titlebar shows an "AutoSave" button. Upon turning this function on, a dialog pops up where you choose which OneDrive to save the document to, and where you enter a name for the file. See screenshots below.

However, this dialog does not allow choosing in which folder on the OneDrive you want to save the document. All files get saved automatically in the "OneDrive/Documents" default folder.

Is there a way to change the behavior of Office apps, so that the user can select in which folder on the OneDrive the file will be stored in by AutoSave?

Click AutoSave buttonClick AutoSave buttonSelect OneDriveSelect OneDrive

Selection of folder on OneDrive not possible.Selection of folder on OneDrive not possible.

42 Replies
I too have a detailed file structure, mine is on my 'D' Drive separate to programs etc on my 'C' Drive. I want to work on my files on my drive and have them saved to OneDrive on the same file structure. The structure is there but I cannot auto save to that structure. Furthermore when I open my file on my drive the autosave option is clear. I reset it but then have multi files on Onedrive of the same.
How difficult is it to improve this? I/We get choice to save files where wanted everywhere apart from this, and as stated, this has been a point of disgruntlement for many years. Isn't it about time that this is resolved?

@PeterAWHurst From the great amount of time it is taking to fix such obvious numskull solution I would suspect fixing it would take rewriting Windows and Office. Seriously, I lose so many, many documents it is driving me crazy. I have Autosave turned on, but I cannot find ANY documents on OneDrive ANYWHERE. I can access them (old ones) through Word, so they are saved somewhere, but I do not know where. Moreover, when I get the path by right clicking on the document in Word list of documents I get a ridiculous path. Following the path requires me to sign in, but none of my credentials work. It is so frustrating I cannot even describe how it feels. Would anyone PLEASE let me know how to discover the path to my documents? Many thanks!

I forgot to mention that in the list of documents in Word I get multiple "copies" of filed available to be opened, but all the "copies" have the same name. Whoever designed it must have been lobotomized as a condition of working on it! Please, can someone help me!
Sometimes I want to send the file through a non-Outlook email client and I cannot find the file. This is soooo very frustrating!!! Please, if anyone knows a solution where to find my files Autosaved by Word, please help!!!