Sending email as alias in office365?

Copper Contributor

I used to have my domain email hosted in office 365. The reason i switched was because of a lack of a feature i really needed. You had the ability to create multiple aliases in office 365 so you could receive multiple emails for your domain in your inbox. For example say my domain was example.org. I could recieve emails from

bob@example.org <--primary email address

orders@example.org

newsletters@example.org.

the only big thing missing was that you could not "send" from any email other than the primary email. so in the example above i could not send email as orders@example.org or newsletters@example.org. I could only send email as bob@example.org. Is this still true or can you send email from aliases? I don't want it to look like it came from the primary email "orders@example.org in care of bob@example.org".  The email i send with an alias should really look like it came from the alias. This is the only reason i'm on GApps and i'm hope to swtich back. Is this feature still missing?

thanks

189 Replies
Instead of using aliases, use shared mailboxes (for instance) that will enable you with the right configuration to send as the shared mailbox alias...there are other options, but the shared mailbox is one of the most simple

Agree with shared mailboxes. You can configure the mailboxes to forward email to your mailbox, and utilise Send As permissions to send from the alias of the shared mailbox.

But be aware that shared mailboxes cannot be accessed from mobile apps (as a warkaround, from mobile you can use the Web UI, of course...).

Hi Brent,

You can create an aditional POP or IMAP account in your Outlook to send with the aliases.

Is the best solution that I use and several clients, if you want to keep in the same Mailbox.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/POP-and-IMAP-settings-for-Outlook-Office-365-for-business-7...

Doesn't this solution result in getting all emails for the mailbox twice on the client? That does not sound practical.  

Hi Marando,

You can select just a few days on POP/IMAP, is just a way to send messages from other alias, it's not a perfect solution.

It works, and you can arrange the view on your Outlook, do these acconts to be on bottom of your stucture.

I have had a similar requirement and have tried both an Exchange Group and Shared Mailbox for the ability to receive and send emails using an alias. I prefer the Shared Mailbox as this is simpler to setup and use.

Yup Brent as Leighton says you can use a distribution group for this. Set it up with the alias as its email, configure it with you as a member, and importantly with send-as permission for yourself. You can then sent emails using that From address. Inbound emails will be forwarded to your inbox.

We use Shared-mailboxes more, but the group sounds what you are looking for.

I would say go for Shared Mialbox because you can access it independentaly, rather DL where you can only send and receive.

you can view shared mailbox in phones too 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlx9C2Bjlw

This video will show you how to add an office 365 shared mailbox to your iPhone mail to allow you to use the shared mailbox to send and receive messages.
Thanks guys for all the help but after reading about shared mailboxes it sounds like a kluge compared to the direct solution of just being able to send/receive that GApps offers. I guess the only reason i want to come back to office 365 is the tight integration with out look. The web app of course in GApps is excellent. I think for now i'm going to stick with GApps and see what happens in the future

Hello,

you can try to use ChooseFrom 365 cloud service.

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze

It's always been possible to do this, solution posted here:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2013/09/sending-email-from-alias-office-365/

Best of luck

I know this thread is a little old, but it ranks highly under a Google for this issue so wanted to add more information.

It is now possible to send for alias addresses quite simply using O365 and Outlook.

• Simply add the alias to your account in the usual way in O365 Admin.
  • In Outlook, open a new mail and from the "Options" ribbon ensure the 'From' button is pressed to reveal this field.
  • Click this drop down and select "other email address".
  • Under here you can manually type the email you want to send from
  • The next time you return to the from drop down, the address will be there to select with 1 click.

Hope this helps someone one!

James, is that possible from Outlook for Mac, or only Outlook for Windows?

(and what if people are using Mail for Mac instead?)

Assuming the following:

You have a user with mailbox and e-mail address userA@contoso.com and you want him to receive and send mail from an address userA@aliasdomain.com.

Do the following:

1. Create a distribution group with e-mail address, the alias f.e. userA@aliasdomain.com

2. Add the user's primary account as a member to this distribution group (Members => userA@contoso.com) to make sure e-mail gets delivered to his mailbox.

3. Set External Senders as required

4. Make sure membership approval is set to not allow other members

5. Set Send As permissions for userA@contoso.com

Now this user can receive e-mail on his new userA@aliasdomain.com e-mail address + send from this e-mail. The only thing he needs to do is in Outlook or OWA select the From and change it to the alias address.

Cheers,

Joey

I don't have access to a Mac so can't test this. I tried in Outlook online and was unable to perform the same actions.

@James O'Sullivan

I am sorry, but I am afraid that it doesn't work...

AFAIK, It is still not possible to send as an alias.

Following your steps, the recipient will get anyway an email sent from the primary address and not from the alias.

cc @Vasil Michev

Did you try the steps I’ve written down?
I have this implemented at several customers and is the only solution to send from an alias.

I don't need to try it: I know that it works... ;)

In fact, it is one of the veeery classic workarounds for solving the problem.