Home

Sending email as alias in office365?

Highlighted
Brent Waldrop
New Contributor

Sending email as alias in office365?

I used to have my domain email hosted in office 365. The reason i switched was because of a lack of a feature i really needed. You had the ability to create multiple aliases in office 365 so you could receive multiple emails for your domain in your inbox. For example say my domain was example.org. I could recieve emails from

bob@example.org <--primary email address

orders@example.org

newsletters@example.org.

the only big thing missing was that you could not "send" from any email other than the primary email. so in the example above i could not send email as orders@example.org or newsletters@example.org. I could only send email as bob@example.org. Is this still true or can you send email from aliases? I don't want it to look like it came from the primary email "orders@example.org in care of bob@example.org".  The email i send with an alias should really look like it came from the alias. This is the only reason i'm on GApps and i'm hope to swtich back. Is this feature still missing?

thanks

57 Replies

Re: Sending email as alias in office365?

Instead of using aliases, use shared mailboxes (for instance) that will enable you with the right configuration to send as the shared mailbox alias...there are other options, but the shared mailbox is one of the most simple

Agree with shared mailboxes. You can configure the mailboxes to forward email to your mailbox, and utilise Send As permissions to send from the alias of the shared mailbox.

But be aware that shared mailboxes cannot be accessed from mobile apps (as a warkaround, from mobile you can use the Web UI, of course...).

Hi Brent,

You can create an aditional POP or IMAP account in your Outlook to send with the aliases.

Is the best solution that I use and several clients, if you want to keep in the same Mailbox.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/POP-and-IMAP-settings-for-Outlook-Office-365-for-business-7...

Doesn't this solution result in getting all emails for the mailbox twice on the client? That does not sound practical.  

Hi Marando,

You can select just a few days on POP/IMAP, is just a way to send messages from other alias, it's not a perfect solution.

It works, and you can arrange the view on your Outlook, do these acconts to be on bottom of your stucture.

I have had a similar requirement and have tried both an Exchange Group and Shared Mailbox for the ability to receive and send emails using an alias. I prefer the Shared Mailbox as this is simpler to setup and use.

Yup Brent as Leighton says you can use a distribution group for this. Set it up with the alias as its email, configure it with you as a member, and importantly with send-as permission for yourself. You can then sent emails using that From address. Inbound emails will be forwarded to your inbox.

We use Shared-mailboxes more, but the group sounds what you are looking for.

I would say go for Shared Mialbox because you can access it independentaly, rather DL where you can only send and receive.

you can view shared mailbox in phones too 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjlx9C2Bjlw

This video will show you how to add an office 365 shared mailbox to your iPhone mail to allow you to use the shared mailbox to send and receive messages.

Thanks guys for all the help but after reading about shared mailboxes it sounds like a kluge compared to the direct solution of just being able to send/receive that GApps offers. I guess the only reason i want to come back to office 365 is the tight integration with out look. The web app of course in GApps is excellent. I think for now i'm going to stick with GApps and see what happens in the future

Hello,

you can try to use ChooseFrom 365 cloud service.

Regards,

Victor Ivanidze

It's always been possible to do this, solution posted here:

https://www.tachytelic.net/2013/09/sending-email-from-alias-office-365/

Best of luck

I know this thread is a little old, but it ranks highly under a Google for this issue so wanted to add more information.

It is now possible to send for alias addresses quite simply using O365 and Outlook.

• Simply add the alias to your account in the usual way in O365 Admin.
  • In Outlook, open a new mail and from the "Options" ribbon ensure the 'From' button is pressed to reveal this field.
  • Click this drop down and select "other email address".
  • Under here you can manually type the email you want to send from
  • The next time you return to the from drop down, the address will be there to select with 1 click.

Hope this helps someone one!

James, is that possible from Outlook for Mac, or only Outlook for Windows?

(and what if people are using Mail for Mac instead?)

Assuming the following:

You have a user with mailbox and e-mail address userA@contoso.com and you want him to receive and send mail from an address userA@aliasdomain.com.

Do the following:

1. Create a distribution group with e-mail address, the alias f.e. userA@aliasdomain.com

2. Add the user's primary account as a member to this distribution group (Members => userA@contoso.com) to make sure e-mail gets delivered to his mailbox.

3. Set External Senders as required

4. Make sure membership approval is set to not allow other members

5. Set Send As permissions for userA@contoso.com

Now this user can receive e-mail on his new userA@aliasdomain.com e-mail address + send from this e-mail. The only thing he needs to do is in Outlook or OWA select the From and change it to the alias address.

Cheers,

Joey

I don't have access to a Mac so can't test this. I tried in Outlook online and was unable to perform the same actions.

@James O'Sullivan

I am sorry, but I am afraid that it doesn't work...

AFAIK, It is still not possible to send as an alias.

Following your steps, the recipient will get anyway an email sent from the primary address and not from the alias.

cc @Vasil Michev

Did you try the steps I’ve written down?
I have this implemented at several customers and is the only solution to send from an alias.

I don't need to try it: I know that it works... ;-)

In fact, it is one of the veeery classic workarounds for solving the problem.

This does 100% work, see these screen shots:
http://personal.klio.co.uk/create-selected.png
As you can see, the top option, mike@mi******.me.uk, is the primary address, the others are typed into Outlook at set as aliases in O365
http://personal.klio.co.uk/outcome.png
When I look at the headers in my outlook, the address typed is shown.

Do you have another completely different email address? Try to send an email from an EOL alias, using your technique, to that email address and you will see that the sender of the email is, in any case, the primary address and not the alias.

As long as the domain being used is served from the same server you're sending from a different domain is no different to an alias of the same domain.

I have not checked to see if an address served from a different server would work, I would expect it not to as doing so would probably fail SPF check and thus lead to a bad experience.

What does "f.e." mean?

Hey Salvatore, you can access shared email in mobile apps. the configuration of this is as follows:

1. You can add your account as IMAP.
  2. SIn the Incoming Mail Server section, enter the following values:
    • Host Name: outlook.office365.com
    • User Name: Your personal email address, followed by a forward slash, followed by the name of the shared mailbox. For example, name@davidson.edu/shared
    • Password: Your Davidson email password.
  3. Scroll down. In the Outgoing Mail Server section, enter the following values:
    • Host Name: smtp.office365.com
    • User Name: Your full Davidson email address.
    • Password: Your Davidson email password.

This worked for me in an office 365 shared mailbox on an android device.

Cheers!

Has anyone else actually been able to get this to work?  

In Outlook Web, I can change the from address to one of my aliases.  I get no error message, the email sends, but it shows up as from my primary smtp address.

In Outlook 2016 on Windows, I choose "another email address..." in the from field and choose the alias.  Again, no error, but the email arrives from my primary smtp address.  In outlook for Windows, though, the sent items folder shows this string: 

Nick Handel </o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=9f3b760eb3874d7380b86e769046ac8b-nick> <nick@xxxdomain.co.uk>

I can send as group email addresses in both Web Outlook and Windows Outlook with no problems.

It's extremely annoying - I agree with the OP that using shared mailboxes etc. is a kluge.  I really see no reason not to make it easy for people to use multiple domains to send and receive email - it's hardly as if this is a backdoor to having multiple users sharing a licence - you get one mailbox!  In fact, the facilities with shared mailboxes make it easier to do that in some respects if you're willing to have multiple users sharing a login.  

Any help or advice gratefully received.

f.e. means For Example.

Cheers

Hi @Nick Handel.

This topic has been discussed infinitely in this community and in many other forums.

Sending as an alias in Exchange has never been possible and indeed it is still not possible.

There are workarounds but, as you noted, they are viable, but not satisfactory.

This is the present situation, unfortunately, and that's all.

This is manifestly untrue. My previous post details steps for this to be achieved in a trivial way using Outlook 2016 and Office 365, one of the most common deployment combos.

@Tony Redmond

Hi Tony, can you please shed some light?

Is it possible in Exchange to send as an alias?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @James O'Sullivan.  Edited because I've just looked at the images you posted.

Have you tried sending from an alias with a different domain (but one that is registered in O365)?  I note that your aliases are all in the same domain (unless differences are redacted)?

I've tried sending from aliases both in the same and different domains as my primary smtp address and neither works.

If it is definitely working for you, there must be some configuration (permissions, perhaps) or other nuance of how domains are set up (or maybe hosted or not hosted in O365) that is different.

Thanks

Nick

@James O'Sullivan wrote:

This is manifestly untrue. My previous post details steps for this to be achieved in a trivial way using Outlook 2016 and Office 365, one of the most common deployment combos.

Dear James,

please do me a favor and send a test message with subject "James O'Sullivan test"  from Family@mi******.me.uk to viciva(at)yahoo.com .

Thank you,

Victor Ivanidze

My experience in trying James' solution is identical to Nick's.

I'm able to enter the alias as directed and send the e-mail, but on the receiving end, it does not appear to actually come from that address. I see the same </o=ExchangeLabs/ou=Exchange Administrative Group... string of characters in the From address in my Sent Items.

I have done some testing with regards this and while it works internally, it doesn't work for external emails, which is a shame.

I've seen a few User Voice requests for Outlook.com for this issue: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/284136-outlook-com?query=send%20as%20alias

Added a comment to this one: https://outlook.uservoice.com/forums/284136-outlook-com/suggestions/16894204-alias-improvements#comm...

Anyone know if there's another post that may be more popular? 

Strange.  I decided to go with the DG option to allow me to send mail from the alias in an alternate domain.  Let's call them nick@primarydomain.com and nick@aliasdomain.com for these purposes.

This meant removing the nick@aliasdomain.com address from the list of addresses associated with my own mailbox, then creating the DG as you describe, assigning permissions etc.

In the DG, I set the display name and alias values to the same values as my own account, merely because I want my name to show the same way.

It didn't work!!!  Email shows as from nick@aliasdomain.com in sent folders on all my mail clients (which it didn't when the alias was attached to my mailbox directly).  But it arrived at the recipient (externally) as addressed from nick@primarydomain.com.  I also tried sending a mail from nick@aliasdomain.com to nick@primarydomain.com and it shows as from nick@primarydomain.com internally as well.

As a troubleshooting step, I set up a new DG for someoneelse@aliasdomain.com and tried sending from that address.  It worked no problem from Outlook Web, immediately.  Email arrived from someoneelse@aliascomain.com.

I tried changing the display name and alias on the original DG.  Didn't make any difference.

So is it a a matter of time?  That Exchange needs to propagate the change for a given recipient that was previously an alias directly against my mailbox and is now a DG?

Or is something is stuck in perpetuity because the address was previously an alias for my mailbox?

Any thoughts gratefully received!!!

It was a matter of time.  And not all that long (30 minutes maybe)...

wrote:

It was a matter of time.  And not all that long (30 minutes maybe)...

So this is confirmed? Setting up the alias as a Distribution Group works to send mail from such alias on OWA?

Thanks.

Yes

I just migrated my email from GSuite to O365 and I'm slowly learning the pitfalls of O365 that you took for granted on GSuite

The only problem with these various solution is that you can really only have 1 alias to send from, as you can't use the same display name.

I've got varying versions of my surname e.g. james@surname.xy, james@surname.net.xyz, james@surname.co.xyz.

In this scenario I'd create two distribution groups, or shared mailboxes, but they can't have the same display name.. so I'd have to create James L 1 and James L 2 (as an example) but then the from address ends up being James L 1 (james@surname.xy) which is stupid..

Not sure to understand your problem...

In your scenario, you should have added several domains to the tenant (i.e. "surname.xy", "surname.net.xyz", etc.). Hence you could indeed create separate DLs and/or SMs such as "james@surname.xy", "james@surname.net.xyz", etc., which do appear as senders.

Hi Salvatore,

as far as I understood he's talking about the display name.

He means he can't create 2 shared mailboxes or groups this manner:

1) "James"  <aaa@bbb.cc>

and

2) "James" <ddd@eee.ff>

As above, I'm talking about the display name. I already have the domains added to my tenant so that part isn't the issue.

The issue is you can't create a D/L, or contact, or shared mailbox, etc, with the same display name

Hi James,

It looks the only way to get what you want is using the cloud service I've mentioned earlier.

@Victor Ivanidze I did look at Choosefrom 365 but I don't want to send my emails through an unknown third party (to me), nor edit the subject to define which address to send from.

I figured out a kludge way of having multiple shared mailboxes with the same name, is to utilise a spare license and create a normal user with mailbox (with the same name) on the alias domain, then convert it into a shared mailbox.

It would be nice if Microsoft supported this natively one day

@James Leonard

Have you tried to change the display name by powershell?

I hadn't tried that yet @Salvatore Biscari

I'll try that when I have to do this again with another user

I know this may have been an old thread but I didn't see any of the real answers here. Maybe my setup is different enough but this is as easy as typing in the alias that you want to send from.

Although this has been available in earlier versions, I'm now using Office 365. The From field of an outgoing message is a dropdown field and in the dropdown I can select to send from any of my current email accounts OR I can select the option listed as "Other email address". With this option, I can enter any other address I chose and the recipient sees this other address as the source and the reply goes to the "other" address.  You do need to select one of your current email addresses for the outgoing SMTP service for delivery, but the recipient should see the Reply-to as being the other address you specified. 

A review of the recipients header would reveal the source as your SMTP server, but the reply should go to the entered address.

Hi Chris,

let's suppose your default email address in Office 365 is SMTP:charette1@contoso.com and your alias is smtp:charette2@contoso.com.

Could you please explain how can you send as charette2@contoso.com using Office 365 OWA?

Thank you,

Victor Ivanidze

Related Conversations