SOLVED

Windows 11 Display Settings not Opening

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am using Windows 11 on Surface Book 2 13 (1050 Ti). The Display Settings do not open. Everything else seems to work fine. I tried opening Display Settings from the desktop, right click and Display Settings or Settings -> Display. From the desktop, it shows the settings screen with the icon and is stuck there forever. From the Settings, it simply doesn't open the Display Settings page. The systems continues working, and I can close the window. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am not able to change the screen resolution.

Thanks.

32 Replies
Hello
sometimes a system restart helps, migration to Windows11 is a process that unfortunately can have errors - another update can fix it.
Best regards

@A1 I have restarted the system many times. It doesn't help. All other settings pages do open, e.g., Personalization works fine. It is only the Display settings that do not open.

best response confirmed by nahmed1000 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I resolved the issue using a clean install. It seems the upgrade process from Windows 10 to Windows 11 did not work as intended and this setting was disabled. The system works fine after the clean install.

Hi I had the same problem. Can you explain what you mean by a clean install?

Thank you

<possibly solved> unplug one monitor, open display settings, plug second monitor back in.

I had the same problem, and accidentally bumped my vga monitor cord with my toes disabling it in windows, at which point, the problem resolved itself for the remaining monitor. unplugging the vga monitor fully, and replugging it, restored the settings option menu for both screens. the options menu has again broken itself, so, I'm about to unplug my vga screen again to try and fix it again. (my vga screen is plugged into an old dvi adaptor, and the whole thing is a bit precarious).

edit: ok, the trick seems to be, unplug one monitor, open display settings, then, while settings is still open, plug the monitor back in. settings should work fine until you close it again.

Thanks but I don't have a monitor. This problem occurred on my laptop so I had no monitor connected.

@ilcapitano I'm facing the same issue did you got any solution by now

I have the same problem, with a relative new Desktop. Only one monitor, disconnecting it did not help, reinstalling windows 11 did not help. I have a relative old laptop and it doesn't have a problem. It seems to me that currently we still don't know the reason.

Both computers were upgraded from Windows 10.

I have the same problem. Restarting doesnt help aand I'm using a laptop. Very annoying.

Here are a few troubleshooting steps you may want to try to fix Display settings not Opening.

• Reset the Settings app
  • Run system restore
  • Re-install the Settings app
  • Perform Windows in-place upgrade.
  • Run System File Checker

If you consider knowing more about this error, you can consider reading more on  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-11-widgets-panel-not-working 

@Tito_titan
Can you tell me the steps of doing each of those please? Not familiar with it.

I feel my pre-installed windows 10 runs faster and smoother than windows 11.
@Tito_titan this still didn't fx my issue. Any other solutions?
use command
reg delete HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\IrisService /f && shutdown -r -t 0

thats fix it

@fLexQS 

Hi, I tried the fix, but it didn't solve the problem, anyway thanks for your suggestion.

@nahmed1000 

When I had windows 10 on my Lenovo c930 laptop, my display settings were not a problem. However, after upgrading to windows 11, I can't access my display settings at all. None of the fixes mentioned here and other places work. Microsoft needs to make this a priority since we are presenting these days more that ever.

@BolivarDeLaCruz 

I completely agree with you!

This is an issue Microsoft should care!

I'm facing the same trouble since I migrated from windows 10 to windows 11 and reinstalling windows 11 is not an option for me because of the amount of time you have to spend to do this!

Hope the technicians will soon find a way to solve it.

Regards

I'm having the same problem. I'm hoping that Microsoft will address these issues as soon as possible. I'm continually waiting for an update, expecting that this problem has already been resolved.

Had the same issue after an upgrade to Win11 on my Asus Zenbook Duo.

I still can't open the display options. However, I found a way to configure my displays.

On my laptop there is an Intel Display setup app. It allowed me to order my displays and did the job. The Nvidia app cannot see all my displays.

So as a temporary solution, this worked.

This worked! Thanks so much!!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by nahmed1000 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

I resolved the issue using a clean install. It seems the upgrade process from Windows 10 to Windows 11 did not work as intended and this setting was disabled. The system works fine after the clean install.

View solution in original post