SPO List View/Edit Items Created by User - Can I Change the User?

Iron Contributor

We have an existing Excel sheet with many entries and need to make it a shared list in SPO.  Each user should only be able to view or edit their own entries.  The problem is the list will be pre-populated (by uploading the Excel file).  Is there a way for me to set the viewing/editing rights of each entry to a particular user?  I looked at the permissions for test entries added by two different users and did not see a difference in their permissions.  How can I initially assign entries to users?  Is it possible?

1 Reply

@LucidBike1140 the created by column is read only so cannot be amended within the list. It is however possible to change it by building a flow in Power Automate, trigger it by having a JSON-formatted button in a single line of text column, and using the "Send an HTTP request to SharePoint" action in the flow:

0-SP.png

1-Flow.png

But it might be better for you to have a separate column for the assigned to person and then change the item permissions based on the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYxzWMI8h8I

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User.
Principal Consultant, SharePoint and Power Platform WSP Global (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)