SharePoint Permissions for a SharePoint list

Copper Contributor

Hi, I'm having a problem with SharePoint permissions.  I have a SharePoint list within a Teams SharePoint Site.  I have setup a contribute group at site level with contribute permissions, but i cannot find how to add those permissions at the list level - could it really be true that anyone who needs to see all items in a list has to be an OWNER at site level? I have the list limited that users only read and edit items they have created. It seems even members who have edit access only see their own list items.

My worry is that a user within the department accidentally deletes a column or something, or gives someone permissions to confidential data.

thanks in advance!

3 Replies
Yes I believe only owners see full items when this is enabled, you could create a view on the list that only shows the users own items amd ensure the users cannot create views

thank you for your reply @Josh_Wickes, wouldn't it be great if there was an owner account that would only have admin priveledges and a members group that had most of those permissions but not be able to delete the whole list by accident - somewhere in between would be good!

You should be able to achieve this by creating a custom permission group, if you got to the root site settings and create a new permission level with only add & edit abilities then break inheritance in the list add change list/site permissions as required