Retention Label - SharePoint List

Brass Contributor

I need to create either a SharePoint list or library that will track details about our Service Providers. Once an item is created in the list, with a file attachment (or it could be a document library too, with metadata), we want to make sure the item is untouched, never edited and saved for a retention period -- perhaps never deleted.

I was thinking of creating a retention label instead of a policy as it only applies on one list (or library) on one site. 

• Do retention labels only apply to libraries, or could they be assigned to a list too?
  • Should the label be included in a policy so that it could be more easily applied to other libraries/lists in the site collection? 
  • Can I auto-assign all entries in the specified list/library to the retention label so I don't have to worry about folks forgetting to assign it?
  • If a retention label is assigned, can someone still edit or delete to the list item or document?
1 Reply
Lucky you, no replies and 232 views. Excellent.
I saw the title of this post and came over because I'm having issues just getting it working.
Perhaps you may want to check this link. https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/
People actually respond there. Good luck.