One user's profile is not created when trying to login

Copper Contributor

We have one user who receives an error logging into SharePoint.  She can log into other systems using Azure SSO.  She was receiving a permission error but she is a member of a group that had access.  Initially she had a duplicate profile in SharePoint. Microsoft support had us delete the profiles and now a new profile is not created.  The user continues to get a permission error and no new profile is created. 


We opened a ticket with Microsoft back in September.  Below are the steps support had us go through.


  1. Since when is this issue occurring with the user and was it working fine in the past.
  2. Please reproduce the issue step by step from the beginning and capture your steps using the screen record feature in PowerPoint and share the file with us. (Ref: Record your screen in PowerPoint - Microsoft Support)
  3. Please test the behavior in different browsers and also in private mode and let us know the outcome.
  4. If user is getting any error message, please share a full-page screenshot of that.
  5. Please share the affected user's UPN/Email.

We sent the information to support.


We were then asked to perform the steps below.

I ran an internal diagnostic test for the affected user account and got the following outcome: "We found a duplicate user account". Request you to please perform the below steps and then check if the issue is resolved.
Go to the Microsoft 365 admin center.
Log in as a user with either the Global admin or SharePoint admin role assigned.
Copy and paste the following URL into the address bar of the logged in browser window.
Follow the prompts to run the diagnostic.
Once completed, ask the affected user to check the behavior in a private/incognito browser window.
This did not fix the issue.  The user then received an error that the account could not be found in the SharePoint directory.  


These were the next steps requested by support.


We need HAR logs to investigate the issue further. Please follow the below to collect the logs:
Open the DevTools by selecting F12.
Select Ctrl + Shift + I (Windows/Linux) or Command + Option + I (macOS).
Select Settings and more and then More Tools > Developer Tools.
Select the Network Tab.
Refresh the page (if needed) and reproduce the problem.
Select the Export HAR... in the toolbar to export the trace as a "HAR" file.
Browse to the URL where you are seeing the issue.
Navigate to Developer tools (use F12 as a shortcut) and select the “Network” tab.
Refresh the page to start capturing the traffic between the browser to the server or click on a link with which you are seeing the issue.
Click on “Export as HAR” followed by Save As… to save the HAR file.
We did the requested steps.


Then support wanted me to run a Get-SPOUser on that user.  It failed.  I could run the Get-SPOUser on other people, just not the user having the issue.  The support person told me it was failing because I was not a SharePoint admin even though I could run it against other users.  


In early December we had 2 calls with support where they asked us to do very simply troubleshooting like try another browser, use incognito mode, etc.  We still do not have a resolution.



0 Replies