Aug 24 2017 10:16 AM
Aug 24 2017 10:16 AM
What happens, when you rename a communication site?
As it's not bound to a Office 365 Group, I just rename it in the classic way under Site Settings > Title. The new title gets accepted in the settings UI and changes in the frontend until I reload the page several times. After reload I'm back to the old title. I'm seeing same issues when editing the navigation settings over the inline edit control. Changes are here for a little while and dissapear then. Changes made to navigation over site settings are more likely to be persisted.
Thx for your inputs!
Aug 24 2017 11:50 AM
Aug 24 2017 12:56 PM - edited Aug 24 2017 12:56 PM
just tried in a Chrome private session and it's the same. Can you rename one?
Aug 25 2017 03:08 AM - edited Aug 25 2017 03:08 AM
Do we maybe have any PowerShell options? This thread doesn't make me optimistic and especially @Vesa Juvonen s answer..
Sep 07 2017 06:43 AM
Is your site in english or another language?
Had the same issue. When I changed the site title in a french user/browser, it reverted back to what it was before. Changed to an english user/browser and voilà, it kept the change.
The base language of communication sites is english so it make sense.
Oct 13 2017 10:58 AM
Had the same issue and was able to resolve using PowerShell PnP version 2.19.1710.0 (October, 2017 release).
I used Set-PnPTenantSite cmdlet
I've been refreshing the page for a few minutes now and it seems to be holding.
Nov 17 2017 03:02 AM
hmmm, set-pnptenantsite -url "http://tenantsomesite" - title "blabla" is not working
anybody an idea how to change the title of a modern communicationsite?
Dec 12 2017 01:09 AM
This worked for me:
Dec 14 2017 09:34 PM - edited Dec 14 2017 09:38 PM
That works in the original language, but if you turn an alternate language back on, then change your language to that language and change the site title in that language using Site Information from a modern page or Site Settings -> Title, description, and logo from a classic page (_layouts/15/prjsetng.aspx) then the translated site title in that language lasts only until you visit the home page again (in any language) If you don't go to that home page the translated site title stays.
Same thing for modern team sites.
Nov 27 2019 04:41 PM - edited Nov 27 2019 04:44 PM
In my experience this is "by design" and is called MUI. There are three levels which should taken into account as well with regard to this functionality: site language settings, browser language settings and language settings in the user profile. Furthermore, every environment has a default language, but in my experience, it is always a good idea to match the default language in your complete SharePoint environment for consistency ... If I'm not mistaken, if your default language is different from English, the termstore might have the default language set to English anyways ... this has been the case in classic SharePoint and it still seems the same so far in modern as well, as far as I know
hope IT helps
Nov 27 2019 07:44 PM
Hi @Share P . Thank you for that. I am quite familiar with MUI.
The problem that I was describing 2 years ago was that although the site title is one of the 7 classes of MUI-enabled UI objects in Modern sites, at the time it was difficult to set the value of the title in other languages, either manually or with TitleResource.SetValueForUICulture() because it reverted back to the title in the original language. That problem was fixed a long time ago.
If you're interested, I wrote a post with details of which settings determine what language the MUI will use.
You are right that the default language of the term store may not be the same as that of the site. However when the farm administrator creates the term store, he or she can choose the default language and the other working languages of the term store to be any of the supported languages. If you supply labels for terms in all of the languages of the site, the one that will be used will be the current MUI language, for all uses of term stores except navigation.