Hub site search is not searching all associated sites

Copper Contributor

I have set up a communication site as a hub site and then associated 6 other sites with it (see attached image showing set up).image.png

The issue is that when searching from the hub site the no results from the associated sites are displayed. This suggests that only the hub site is being searched. The setting up of hub sites and associated sites appears to be straight forward however I must be missing something. Has anyone else experienced this issue and found a solution?

11 Replies
Some things to check.

1. Are you an explicit member on these sites? You must be for search index to search the content and return to the hub search. If these are office 365 group connected site then you need to be listed as a member in addition to owner if you are in fact owners on the sites, this used to be a bug and still might be.
2. Give it time, at least 15 minutes to Index.

@Chris Webb Thanks for the suggestion. I am an explicit member on some associated sites and an owner of others. I have now also made myself a member of these sites and waited 15 minutes to index, however the search result from the hub site is still not including associated sites. The strange thing is if I use the SharePoint app on my phone the search results from the hub site works fine, with the results being displayed for all associated sites.

@bvanlelyveld , did you ever get this resolved?  I just started testing a hub site today and am finding the exact same results that you posted.  Using search on the hub site doesn't surface content from associated sites in a web browser (tried both Chrome and Edge) but does surface content from associated sites when searching from the SharePoint app in iOS.  News posts are rolling up to the hub site though.

Thanks, Greg

@Greg Verbarendse I am seeing the exact same thing.  Am just experimenting with Hub sites so created two basic communication sites, made one the hub and associated the other with it.

Have added a menu item to the hub site and this successfully appears on the associated site however having added a file to the associated site, I do not appear to be able to search for it and find it from the hub site.   In addition when on the hub site searching for the associated site, it doesn't appear.   I am the owner of both sites plus am also an explicit member of both sites.

Any ideas on how to solve?

How long has it been? You have to give it time to index.

In my experience it took a day or two before documents on associated sites started showing up in the search results at the hub site when using a browser.  The thing that was throwing me off was that in the iOS SharePoint app, documents from associated sites showed up right away in the search results at the hub site.

@Greg Verbarendse It also works on the Android Sharepoint App so is very strange that it doesnt work on the browser;   You would expect both to be pulling from the same data source and therefore to return the same info.    Will try again later in the week and see if it is simply an indexing issue.

@Greg Verbarendse Have given this almost a week and still am unable to search and find content using the search on the hub site, looking for content in the associated site.    Am owner and member of the hub and associated site.    It works when search is done in sharepoint app on android plus it shows the files when I click on the "Search for aup in all content" option.   Any ideas?

@garyhenderson18 I've just started testing this out myself too as a client is looking for this kind of architecture with teams instead of classic sites. I'll give it a day or two and check back to see if the content shows up.

I did try re-indexing libraries with content manually via advanced settings in the library settings but that doesn't seem to have done anything. What's strange though is there are actually a few default icons that show up from Site Assets in the search results, but nothing else.

@James_Voss we found one solution was to set the default search to show all content for a given site or sites.   Its a workaround rather than a proper solution as it exposes files from other sites the user has access to when in fact they want to search only within the site structure they are viewing, but until we can find a better solution this at least means users dont need to click the Search All Content link before content in a hubs associated sites will show up.

I am experiencing this issue on two new hubs just created.  One created months ago is working fine.  Its been 3 days and no results in the web though like another poster here it works fine on mobile in the SharePoint app.  Did anyone get a resolution or does this require opening a ticket with MS and then waiting for them to stumble around and figure it out/wait it out?