Deleted news link still shows on other pages

Brass Contributor

We have several Team sites and we show news between the sites in the news webpart.

One Team Site created a news link and then deleted it but it still shows on the other Team Sites. When its clicked of course there is a error page not found.

How do we fix so we dont see this deleted news link on the other sites?

Is it a index thing?

7 Replies
News rollups across sites use Search. Once the index has updated it should disappear.
Facing the same problem and re-indexing or waiting does not fix this problem, nor does removing the page from the search results via central admin.

@36048419 I always tell our staff NOT to delete a news story from associated sites in our hub because it doesn't delete it from the top-level hub news web part. Instead if they wish to remove a news story, just demote it from Promoted State 2 to Promoted State 0. That removes it but retains the story as an ordinary page for record purposes.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@Steve Knutson except he's incorrect that you can't edit the Promoted State through the UI. You can. In the list view edit the Promoted State column and change the default value from 2 to 0 and save. Then edit it again and change the default value from 0 to 2 and save. You will find that the Promoted State of all items can now be changed, e.g. in Grid View.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@RobElliott this is not the experience I get. In Quick Edit or Edit in Grid View, Promoted State is a read only column and so cannot be updated.

Ahh I see you have a blog post on how to make this editable. Thanks.
https://rob6688.wixsite.com/fincaslosgallardos/post/edit-the-promoted-state