SOLVED

Changing the View of "Document Set Contents" in SharePoint Online/2013

Steel Contributor

I have a library configured to use Document Sets. Within that library, the document content type has a "Document Type" column and I'd like to group the Document Set Contents by that column value on the Welcome page. 

The way this was done in SP2010 (where I originally configured the library, then migrated using Sharegate), you'd go into the Site Content Types, select the document set content type, then go to Document Set Settings and "Customize the Welcome Page". When I try that in our O365 Tenant, it brings up the Welcome Page, but the "Edit Page" button in the ribbon is grayed out, so I can't edit anything on the page. DS_WP_NoEdit.png

OK, so there's more than one way to do this. I go to one of the actual document sets, click Page, then the Edit Page button in the ribbon. Great! Now I can get to the web part properties for the Document Set Contents web part. BUT, those properties don't include the "Selected View" drop-down! To quote Charlie Brown as Lucy (again!) pulls the football way: AAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!

DS_WP_DSetContents.png

I also tried adding a new "Document Set Contents" web part to the page, but it doesn't appear in the list of Web Parts available to insert. 

I'm sure what I need to do is somehow possible, but I am obviously missing something here. Any help or guidance would be very much appreciated!

--

Chad Kealey

Drexel University

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Chad_V_Kealey (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Open the library in which you are using Document Sets, then go to the Library settings. When the settings are shown, locate your Document Sets content type in the list of Content types. Click on it!

You will now be in the List Content Type page for the Document Sets content type. One of the Settings options is "Document Set Settings" - click on that one!

You will now be in the Document Set Settings - at the bottom of the page is an option "Customize the Welcome Page" - this is where you will modify what your Document Sets welcome page will look like and the Edit option under the Page tab should be available for you.

My guess is that you can't do this under the Site Content Types, as they are not related to a Library at that point!

Kind regards, John

-Edit the page

-Remove the documentset contents webpart

-Add the list webpart to the page. Under category -> Apps and choose the list that you are working on.

-Now you have a webpart with more options to configure but giving the same functionality as the original webpart.

Thanks! I swear in 2010 I was able to customize the welcome page from the content type, but apparently that doesn't work in 2013. However, while this got me to the right place to edit the page, the "Document Set Contents" web part still didn't have a place to select the desired view. I had to delete (actually, I closed) that and add a new web part displaying the document library which had that option. 

I'm really hoping MS throws some dev time at Document Sets to improve the user experience. In theory, they're exactly what a lot of people need, but there are so many gremlins involved in setting them up and using them properly that few people put up with them. 

Worked for me...thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Chad_V_Kealey (Steel Contributor)
Solution

Open the library in which you are using Document Sets, then go to the Library settings. When the settings are shown, locate your Document Sets content type in the list of Content types. Click on it!

You will now be in the List Content Type page for the Document Sets content type. One of the Settings options is "Document Set Settings" - click on that one!

You will now be in the Document Set Settings - at the bottom of the page is an option "Customize the Welcome Page" - this is where you will modify what your Document Sets welcome page will look like and the Edit option under the Page tab should be available for you.

My guess is that you can't do this under the Site Content Types, as they are not related to a Library at that point!

Kind regards, John

View solution in original post