adding a version column to a document library web page in a sharepoint site

Copper Contributor

We have created a small SharePoint site for our group. We use document versioning and approval to track version numbers and approval/status. In the SharePoint site, we have a document library web page. It displays: Name (doc name), Modified (date), Modified by (person), Approval Status (Draft/Approved).

Because we are using versioning, I would like to include the version number in this display here. I know we can pull it up in details, but I'm asking for a way to have it easily displayed with the web part.
Is there a way to do that? Our consultant says Microsoft has eliminated this possibility -- it cannot be done -- and he has been right about everything so far. Is this accurate, there is no way to show the version number here?

If there is a way, I"d really appreciate the information!!

Thanks!sharepoint example.png

4 Replies

@rallybill It is possible to add version column to a document library view. Follow below steps:

1. Go to the page where you have added document library web part.
  2. Click on Switch view options dropdown & select Edit current viewganeshsanap_0-1655049656755.png
  3. It will open view settings page in classic experience. Select "Version" column to display under "Columns" section by selecting checkbox: ganeshsanap_1-1655049853548.png
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes and refresh the page where document library web part is added. You should see the version column added to library view now.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

screen2.pngHi @ganeshsanap  thank you!!

Much appreciated! I'm getting closer.

I did what you suggested, and I have a version column now! There is no value displaying though (unless I look in version history of course, then it does have a version number).

No worries if you don't have an answer here, it might be a question for Microsoft technical support. In case you do, here's what it looks like.

Thank you!-rb

@rallybill I can see the version number without any problem: 

ganeshsanap_0-1655112838566.png

And yes, you can check with Microsoft support team by creating online support ticket.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

HI All,
is there any way to create a Revision column (rather than version) where it can pbe picked from a table of info?
example:
pick P01 and each time the file is override the revision change to P02

Regards