SOLVED

Users are not able to open Projects from O365 in Chrome to MS Project on the desktop

Brass Contributor

So we are running into an issue that appears may be attributed to a Chrome update. I am looking to gather feedback from others to see if you are experiencing the same issues as us. 

When a user logs into O365 and they navigate to Project Online, they locate the project they want to view and then they try to open it using the MS Project Pro software installed on their system. The normal result is the project opens without issue. 

What is happening now is MS Project opens but the Project itself fails to open. The current workaround is to use IE. 

Have you experienced this? 

26 Replies

This relies on both Project and Office Khaledh, and it could be that they need patching - so best to get both up to date.  We have occasionally seen browser changes break things - but you should be able to work out what changed.  If it never worked for this user then updating is probably best.  If it stopped working then some other change impacted things.

Best regards,

Brian

Hello @Brian-Smith , seems like this issue also appears when using Project desktop 2013 in combination with Project Server 2013 on-premise on windows 7 machines running IE 11 after applying KB4489873). The fix you mentioned is also coming to Project Server 2013 and older desktop clients ?

@Guy Anthuenis what is the exact symptom?  This is an old thread so you may be seeing a different issue.  A recent update did break opening projects with spaces in their names - see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Project-Support-Blog/Projects-with-spaces-in-their-names-A-re... 

Best regards,

Brian

Hey @Brian-Smith , thanks for the quick response. Though this is an older post, it is still related to this issue. What do we see ? Last week we released some security updates to our client machines. Since then, we cannot open project plans anymore in project professional 2013. We are connecting to an on-premise installation, and teached our project managers to open their project plans starting from PWA, the icon in the grid. But this approach no longer works for now.

Following your advice I tested project plans without a space. Works perfectly. Tested with project plans with spaces in their  names, but this gives the same issues.

We are working on Windows 7 desktops, and checked the dependency on KB4489878. I can confirm that this security update is causing the problems we face. Uninstalling that specific update makes it all working again.. Working with IE 11, intranet zone and compatibility mode and protected mode on (or off, same result). So, what should we do ? Hope this helps you analyse as well our issue ?

@Brian-Smith  we are still facing the same issue here, i have SP 2016 on prem, my client machines are Win 7 enterprise, some users have Project 2016 and others have 2013, all on latest version of Chrome, same issue happening

@khaledh - which update do you have applied to your Project Server 2016?  We fixed this for Chrome some time ago.  Update to a recent Public Update and the problem should go away.

Best regards,

Brian.

@Brian-Smith 

Hi  Brian,

I'm running Chrome 80.0.3987.116 (Official Build(64-bit) and still not able to open MPP in Share Point.

Cheers.