data loss prevention policy tips not working in Outlook client

Copper Contributor

hi Everyone

I hope you can help point me in the right direction.  I've spent 2 days on this and can't work out what's wrong.

we have 2 DLP rules.  a) for financial data, and b) that detects document sensitivity labels, .  They are set to trigger if information is being sent outside our organisation.

windows outlook used is v16 (2111 build 14701.20262) (on multiple machines)

These are my test results

ActionOutlook WebOutlook windows
mail set to sensitivetip showsno tip.  Msg blocked
attachment sensitive (link to onedrive)no tip.  Msg delivered.  Access to file deniedno tip.  Msg delivered.  Access to file denied
attachment sensitive (attached to message)no tip.  Msg blockedno tip.  Msg blocked
attachment with financial data (link to onedrive)no tip.  Msg delivered.  Access to file deniedno tip.  Msg delivered.  Access to file denied
attachment with financial data (attached to message)tip showstip shows
Financial data pasted into mail messagetip showstip shows

observations

• policy tips can work in windows outlook as the financial data policy (a) is triggering them
  • It seems to be ignoring the sensitivity label of attached documents as far as displaying the tip is concerned
  • even though the policy tip does not show, the (b) policy blocks the outgoing email.  so the policy is active

I have tried deleting the policy nudge registry key, but in all honesty with OWA not working reliably, I think anything I do to outlook windows is going to give me a workable system :(

any suggestions?

1 Reply
Hi, any update on this? My issue is not exactly as this, Policy Tips consistently working in OWA but on M365 Apps for enterprise with latest updates the Policy Tips is not showing.