Teams recording lag

Copper Contributor

Please let me know if there is any solution or work around to getting the meeting recording lag removed. In the past, there was no issue with audio and visual sync, however we are now experiencing a lag of the audio once the recording is saved to the stream. 

8 Replies

I got the same problem as you @AbbyGrunden. Did a live session two weeks ago and the recording went fine. However, today's sessions are all badly audio and video synced. No errors were to be noticed during the live streaming.

But this was the first time that I as a producer, didn't sit in the same location as the presenter. Could this affec the recorded video quality? I have never encountered anything similar with regular Teams meetings.

@elin_a Have just experienced exactly the same. Live presentation was fine, but downloaded the recording afterwards and the audio/video sync was out by 2 seconds. We did a Teams Live Events in mid July and had no issues with the audio sync in that event recording.

@AdamOCI can help you with a 'manual' workaround while this is not fixed yet:

1. Get Avidemux ( https://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/  free for all)
  2. Open Avidemux.exe
  3. drag'n drop the offsync video file on it (it should be loaded)
  4. then modify following settings on the left side:
  • Enable shift, set to 1800
  • Output format, change to MP4 Muxer.
  • Video and Audio Output should still be set to 'copy' (so we just fix the audio offset but will not recode anything)

It should look like this:

NilsReichert_0-1605200379350.png

5. Then Ctrl+S  (save) and find a nice location (usually it offers not the same location that your input video is coming from).

It should be very fast, and this video should be sync.

For me 1800ms worked best.

If not for you, just change the value, move the playback slider at the bottom to a position you like to test, and then click play on the bottom left. repeat until happy with correction.

Thanks @NilsReichert, haven't used Avidemux before but looks great. I'll keep that one in my toolkit! :)

One issue I've found is that when I set the options and try to save the video I get the following error...

2020-11-16 09_47_28-Info.png

I've looked online and have found some others reporting similar errors. I've tried downloading the recording again but get the same error when trying to save it from Avidemux <sigh> nothing is as easy as it should be!! :)

Have you come across this before?

@NilsReichert An update...

I downloaded Handbrake and let it run through the video with pretty much the default settings, then took the output from that back into Avidemux and did the sync offset again and it was happy.

Interestingly the resultant output file still has an audio sync issue when played with Windows Media Player, however when the same file played with VLC the audio is now fine.

@AdamOC  I am glad you found a solution for that 'too short' issue, I never had that before. So about still different playbacks, I assume audio codec is some kind of normal mp3/AC3/AAC  so I would assume that the video codec is the one being understood/interpreted different.

You can try to use avidemux directly (maybe with active encoding that 'too short' error will not happen anymore) and for video select the option with x264,audio Copy, the audio shift 1800, output format mp4 muxer. Saving takes longer because of video new encoding.

If this works, then just adjust Video output  - configure - the rate control at the bottom, to adjust created filesize.

NilsReichert_0-1605609084442.png

I assume a recode will assure that more keyframes are added, so hopefully different media players will not behave different anymore.

Also if you upload it to microsoft stream for viewing (teams on the left open 'steam' then upper right, open website, there you can upload videos), maybe it is not relevant if sync there anyways.

@NilsReichert It seems this error only occurs with the MP4 Muxer. You can use the MKV Muxer and this error wont occur but you can still upload to Streams. 

@AbbyGrunden I'm experiencing the same thing as of late.  It's off by two seconds generally speaking.