Teams profile picture now possible to change with Exchange on-premise mailbox

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

We were unable to change the profile picture in Teams in our environment because we host the user-maibox in Exchange On-premise (with hybrid config)

Since this week, our users reported that this is working now. And they are right.

But I can't find any update or news article about this.

In this document it still says it is not possible: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/exchange-teams-interact

So before informing all of our users, I hope we can get some more information about this.

9 Replies
Yeah, not really updated from what I can tell.

"Teams users with mailboxes hosted on premises must be synchronized to Azure Active Directory. They can change the user profile picture providing Exchange Server 2016 (Cumulative Update 3), or above, is running on-premises."

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/change-your-profile-picture-in-teams-7a711943-9248-420e-b...

@ChristianBergstrom 

Thanks for the article!

Don't know which article is newer because if you click on the For more info see ... link, thats the page I was refuring to.

Last january we created a case with MS for this issue and they then refured to that link, that is saying it is not possible. Anyway something has changed :)

@Fuske 

Hi,

we have the same problem just differently. So far it was not possible for our locally synchronized users to upload their own images via MS Teams. But since March it has suddenly been possible. What was changed? What can we do to stop this again?

@Mike_Ipkendanz have you found a solution to this? our OWA policies on-prem and in the cloud are set to "SetPhotoEnabled -eq $false".  Teams still seems to allow the client and web still allows users to change the photo. 

Hallo,@Joester80 , nein keine Lösung. Gibt bitte auch ein Ticket auf. Vielleicht hilft dies uns allen .

Antwort vom MS Support:

Problembeschreibung: Profil Bilder Anliegen 
Lösungsschritte: 
-Mein Eskalationsteam hatte bestätigt, da die Benutzer kein Exchange haben, dieses Anliegen ist leider von uns nicht mehr unterstützt, da unser Action Plan sich auf Exchange Befehle basiert.

Hello, @Joester80 , no no solution. Please also create a ticket. Maybe this will help us all.

Answer from MS Support:

Description of the problem: Profile pictures concern
Solution steps:
-My escalation team had confirmed that the users do not have Exchange. Unfortunately, we no longer support this concern as our action plan is based on Exchange commands.

Also having the same issue here, did any SetPhotoEnabled is set to false in on-prem and exchange online

@mattolver 

Hi, with MS Teams Client 1.4.00.11161 we can not change the photo. This sounds good.

No good here, I've tested from the web client (through edge) and also from desktop client (version 1.4.00.2879) and users are still being allowed to change the profile photo.

@mattolver 

For your info. we have changed two settings a while ago, perhaps its take a couple of weeks to activate.

########################

SharePoint Online profile policy

-----------------------------------

Setting up your SharePoint Online profile policy requires you to use the Microsoft 365 admin center interface.

1. Go to Microsoft 365 admin center, click Show all in the left menu and choose SharePoint to access the SharePoint Online admin center.

Mike_Ipkendanz_0-1622617782378.png

In the SharePoint Online admin center, click More features, and click Open in the User profiles section.

Mike_Ipkendanz_1-1622617782382.png

Go to Manage User Properties.

Mike_Ipkendanz_2-1622617782384.png

Click Picture and then click Edit Policy.

Mike_Ipkendanz_3-1622617782387.png

In the Policy settings, clear the Allow users to edit values for this property checkbox, scroll down and click OK.

Mike_Ipkendanz_4-1622617782390.png

####################
Exchange Setting:

-----------------------------------------------------------

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity "OwaMailboxPolicy-Default"

SetPhotoEnabled                                      : True

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-OwaMailboxPolicy -SetPhotoEnabled $false -Identity "OwaMailboxPolicy-Default"

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-OwaMailboxPolicy -Identity "OwaMailboxPolicy-Default"

SetPhotoEnabled                                      : False