SOLVED

Teams Notification Integration with Mac OS Notifications--is is missing?

Brass Contributor

Hello All,  Teams banners are not showing up in Apple Notifications:

On Catalina: 10:15:5,

MS Teams (from MS Office 365),  Version 1.3.00.18164

I am getting banners, for the requisite 5 seconds, but when I go to pull down the Mac OS Notifications list, it is not listed there. 

When I go to "System Preferences"-->"Notifications", I don't see "Teams" listed.  Should I?

I feel it should be integrated with the Mac notification so that the Teams' notifications can be viewed after the 5 second banner disappears, and also in the order received with other notifications.  If I miss that 5 second display (maybe I had an alternate desktop obscuring the banner), it's essentially lost to me.

Thanks for you time/help.

Mundeli

60 Replies

@WayneBre 

Me three!! If Outlook for Mac can do it, so can Teams. Microsoft, please keep the pedal to the metal towards this roadmap! Our small office uses Microsoft software everywhere else except for Slack for this reason alone. 

This is a very big need for our Mac users as well. I am continually missing Teams notifications. Get Skype, Outlook, other Office notifications via Mac OS notifications. I guess you still have a few days left in February, please get this rolled out!

@JustaUser 

It is interesting that the roadmap still states a February release for this feature and we are now into March, when the original projection for release was Oct. 2020. Microsoft never fails to disappoint in so many ways.
Now that they changed release time to March. Just hoping they don't keep pushing the release time. I really thought that they have a release planned in Oct 2020. But seems like the release time is a joke.

I'm sorta staggered that this hasn't been implemented, and that nobody is communicating outwards. This should be the definition of MUSTFIX?

Does anybody at MS actually use Teams on Mac?
I have noticed that Microsoft Teams is available in the System Preferences / Notifications list, when I don't remember it even being there before. Is that just my own delusion? I'm using the public preview.

I'm really looking forward to this -- right now Teams notifications often pop up behind the MacOS notifications, and I'm left sorting through multiple MacOS notifications before I can even see or respond to the Teams one.  Also super annoying when I'm on a non-Teams meeting and Teams ignores the system do not disturb state.  I currently just shut the Teams app if I don't want to be disturbed.

This is a problem in so many ways, starting with Teams notifications not following the look and feel of Mac, which while not critical is still annoying. But the biggest problem for me is that Teams does not show its notifications over fullscreen apps. Not everyone loves the Mac's fullscreen mode but I do and use it extensively. And I missed countless calls and messages because of it. I am forced to go to the Teams app every couple of minutes to check if I missed anything. It annoys me more and more with every passing day to the point where I'm starting to really hate Teams. It is by far the worst piece of Mac software I've ever seen. We're not talking about some big and complex improvements here that will only be useful in edge cases. It is notifications, the most basic thing of any messaging app. As basic as it gets. and Microsoft fails at it so miserably. The longer it drags on, the harder I try to avoid any Microsoft products and tell all my friends to do so as well.

To have such basic feature still "in development" one year later speaks volume about how much Microsoft cares about good software for Apple platform.
Perhaps is not so incorrect to think there is some other reason for this unjustifiable delay... ;)
A famous politician once said "It's wrong to think badly of someone, but you're often right"...

I'm waiting for this feature for a century already.
Can you just update where are we in the process?
Mostly I think this is due to when you have a screen in fullscreen mode Teams automatically switches to "Do not disturb" i.e stopping all notifications. A remediation might be to change the settings of who can bypass your "Do not disturb" mode. But then, if you are presenting anything in a teams meeting a chat/call from that person will get through.
This would be a very simple issue to address. Microsoft would simply need to remove the DND feature from the Teams application, because once notifications use MacOS notification system a user would enable DND on the MacOS in Control Centre to avoid interruptions when giving presentations etc.
It's not available in the preferences on the Macbook with the M1.
Unfortunately, this is another example of the terrible attention Microsoft has to UX design. Their apps are notorious for being overly cumbersome and bloated, designed by software engineers who have zero concept of UX. If Microsoft is going to continue to be so awful at UX, maybe they should at least contract Apple to fix the problem. (Kidding, I know that won't happen for a myriad of proprietary reasons.)

My work-around is that I get notifications on my iPhone, so at least I know when to look at something in Teams.

Every month, they just change the Release to the current month.  Disappointing to say the least.  GIVE US OUR NATIVE NOTIFICATIONS ALREADY!!!!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/roadmap?SilentAuth=1&rtc=1&filters=&searchterms=66743

Unfortunately, it's not that easy and DND settings do not change anything. I also asked my colleague and he didn't notice me going into DND when I switch to a full-screen app.

The problem is that a Teams notification is not a notification. It's actually a separate window and Teams cannot create windows over fullscreen apps.

By the way, if we're talking about DND, Teams ignoring Mac DND settings is another annoying issue and it will also be resolved if they ever implement those native notification, maybe in 50 years shrug.

@andrewagafonov 

It's starting to feel like a conflict between apple and microsoft. Where apple would like teams to use the same rules the other applications in the ecosystem use, and microsoft doesn't want to do that.  And in the mean time tens of thousands of calls are getting missed and their users suffer.

Another fun feature of Teams not using native notifications:
* I get a phone call through teams, and it plays the notification tones
* I answer the call, then realize my music is playing in "Music" (was "iTunes")
* I hit the play/pause button (F8).
* The stupid Teams notification tones start playing again, in addition to the music!
* Now have to hit play/pause to make the tone stop, find the "Music" window, press pause.
It seems that Teams takes over as the last-played audio, which tells macOS that it must be what you want the play/pause button to control.
<sigh> Just another reason Microsoft needs to fix this.

So it's now April, just in case anyone over at Microsoft can't read a calendar. :lol:

I've missed two meetings this week because of how ludicrous this situation is.

Yay.

And to quote someone over at Uservoice "Do you think they spent developer time automating moving the date or is there a Jr. Dev who has to update the data manually?"