Teams having very loud white noise when no one is speaking

Copper Contributor

Using Microsoft Teams in work meetings I have noticed a very loud white noise that only appears when no one is talking. I know it is not about microphones, because I have been in meetings where everyone were muted and were waiting for the meeting to start and the white noise just kept on buzzing. The white noise starts as gentle but gets louder and louder if no one is talking until it reaches its peak as a very loud buzzing.

I have tried to search for answers but only one I found was about "Teams certified microphone" which I do not possess, but Teams is the only voice communication service to cause this noise so I'm not convinced it's a microphone issue.

Help & solution greatly appreciated.

- Jonas

15 Replies

I am have same problem, but the noise also continues when I am speaking. if someone else on the meeting peaks the noise clears but then comes back again.  as the background "hum" continues, eventually someone in the meeting will tell my my voice is breaking up and they can't hear me.

Unbearable. brought it to the attention of Company IT and only solution they had was to join the meeting with my phone, which does not have this same issue.  Must be a better answer???

You have described exactly my problem @Scott_L99 my IT dept had very little to offer except to say it must be a problem with my connection but I live in a city and don't have any other problems with my wifi apart from occasional buffering when streaming films. If you have anything to offer on this problem I'd love a solution.

Sarah 

@Sarah_Gore,  Sorry but i do not.  I do know that it is not likely the connection! I have the same issue regardless of if i'm working form home or wired in at my office.  I also found that this issue is during meetings only, if i take a phone call through Teams, the noise is not there!  I am told that I need to use an MS certified headset so I'm waiting for the IT provided Bluetooth earpiece.  Until then, I join meetings with my phone for audio (works ok) and also muted on my computer to share screens. 

Real-time noise suppression will filter out someone typing on their keyboard while in a meeting, the rustling of a bag of chips (as you can see in the video above), and a vacuum cleaner running in the background. AI will remove the background noise in real time so you can hear only speech on the call.

@Lewis-H Many of us are experiencing this, and we cannot find solutions. Consultation companies we work with are now experiencing this also in their environments, driving us over to Zoom. I have not been able to find a solution online anywhere. Hopefully Microsoft will respond.

@Ron_Stamm 

I have the same problem. I even bought new earphones because I tought that was the issue. I don't seem to have the issue when I unplugg my earphones (using my laptop's audio and microphone). Does this solve the problem for more people? Altough I rather meet with my earphones ofcourse.

It's really hard to keep concentrating when I say something in a meeting with the increasing white noise when I talk, and colleague's can't hear me well enough. 

@JonasStudying and all.... I've had this issue for quite some time. It's linked to my nice pair of headphones for some reason. Other headsets (Beats Powerbeats wireless) for instance don't cause this, but my wired over-the-ear Shinola headphones do. Really frustrating, because as others mention, it doesn't happen on 1-on-1 Teams calls, only in meetings with multiple participants. Sound increases louder and louder (basically unbearable, until another meeting participant makes a noise. As mentioned above, my on speech doesn't knock the white noise down. I've tried playing with Sound Mixer settings in windows, but not much luck.

@zbolton32 @JonasStudying @Ron_Stamm @TaraPi @Scott_L99 and all...

Had to use an add-on SW (KRISP.COM) but it worked. Can still use the Windows application of Teams and my premium over-the-ear headphones! Maybe Microsoft needs to make an acquisition?! That SW company figured it out!!

@JonasStudying 

Same Problem. Have to sign in in addition with a Mobile Phone as otherwise there is not possibility to use Teams.

Thank you, but why cant microsoft fix this issue???????????? Why Microsoft?

@JonasStudying 

We are experiencing it at work on our Dells.    Interesting part is, when I join the same Teams meeting on my MacBook Air, using the same bluetooth earbuds, I get no white noise.

@MrManu2030 

You will have ask the MS Customer Service robot. 

I am getting this too all the time if I try and join from my laptop, but only a few colleagues are getting the same - most don't have the issue. I solve it by joining from the mobile app and the audio is fine. It is a bit of a pain. because if I answer a call like that and then someone wants to share screen, I'm stuck peering at it on my mobile.
@Sally1300 I have the same issue. On my 300$ bose wireless headphones.... but when I use some cheap Jabra wired headphones I don't have this issue... so maybe yours are also to good for teams :)

Ridiculous that Microsoft hasn't fixed this bug yet.