Tagging files/documents in MS Teams and/or SharePoint

Copper Contributor

Hello, everyone,

since I unfortunately did not find a clear result during my research, I ask the question again here:

Is it possible in SharePoint / MS Teams to "tag" a file in the library, i.e. my file gets several attributes assigned in one (!) metadata column, which I can filter by?

• If I use the native tag information in Word, I can display this information, but I cannot filter on single values, because the function is not available (screenshot 1)
  • However, when I create a new column, I cannot find a way to configure the column to include multiple independent values. (screenshot 2)

The screenshots have german language, sorry for that. First one is missing the "filter by" option and just offers "settings" and the 2nd shows that for a custom column, all "tags" are treated as one value, even when sep. by ; or ,

Am I trying to achieve smth that is not possible with SP? Thought tagging files was smth that is the way to go since 2000s. 

Thanks in advance and have a nice day

3 Replies

@fyver 

Hi, take a look at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cubo6ZEzo_g

Hope this helps?

Depending on how familiar you are with SharePoint, this can be achievable in different ways:
(1) Add a choice column to the Teams Document Library so you can select different values in that choice column
(2) Use a lookup column instead of a choice column. Using a Lookup column implies you have to crate first the list you want to use for creating the lookup column
(3) Use a manage metadata column instead of a choice column or a lookup one. Using a manage metadata column implies you have first to define Terms Group and Terms in the Site Terms Store or in the Global Term Store in SPO

@PeterRising 

Thanks for your recommendation, sadly his solution uses only one entry per metadata column :)

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Thanks! I will evaluate your recommendations. Thought this would be smth that can be done out of the box, since the "Tags" column is always available when you create a new word document. 

I find it kinda freightening that smth that basic cannot be done quick and out of the box in SharePoint... this is smth that OSX delivers natively in their files system.