SOLVED

Stuck on first time startup instructions

Copper Contributor

I have now guided several people through installing Microsoft Teams in my company and this issue keeps popping up all too often.

After Microsoft Teams PC program starts and goes through logon process, it tries to do some sort of pointless tutorial for the user. This tutorial locks down input by darkening most of the screen while highlighting one part of it in order to show most common areas of the program to the user. User is supposed to also see a small popup window with text explaining the section.

Trouble is half the time these small popup windows are less than obvious or don't even show up.

Is there some way if a user is stuck at such a step, like here: 

blazodjurovic_0-1598873778389.png

to somehow force Teams to skip this step.

6 Replies

@PeterRising Nah. Note that the window the person was talking in that issue is darkened out compared to the white bar above it. User can't click on the window in the middle because the application has restricted input to just the hilighted top and presumably the small tip window that should have popped up explaining the section of the screen which has been hilighted (top). Problem is that window hasn't popped up so there is no way to proceed.

@blazodjurovic 

Ah my bad, sorry about that.  I'm not aware of any means of suppressing this,  

best response confirmed by blazodjurovic (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Problem was in some cases solved by mashing the escape key till it clears all invisible dialog bubbles.

@blazodjurovic 

Hello!

If you want to skip this step just create user GPO to add Registry key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\IM Providers\DefaultIMApp - Teams

AlexR960_1-1655310817087.jpeg

Found answer here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/local-microsoft-teams-install-is-asking-for-ad...

I'm seeing a similar issue at my company. Wanted to verify we're talking about the Teams Machine-Wide Installer, which is what my company uses.

Common scenario is that User A installs Teams shortly after getting their new device. User logs off and logs back on. Teams launches. User authenticates by providing their credentials. User is then presented with a dialog prompting to allow organization to manage the device. After clicking OK and closing that dialog, Teams fully launches. The next dialog is as shown above ("One more step to set up Teams with Office"). User clicks the "Let's do it" button. User gets presented with a dialog requesting admin credentials. Users don't have admin creds, so they call the Help desk.

I've experimented with logging off and back on after the initial Teams install, and also doing a full reboot, but no difference in the end result. I've verified the reg key is correct as shown above. Any thoughts on why I'm still seeing the "One more step..." dialog?
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by blazodjurovic (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Problem was in some cases solved by mashing the escape key till it clears all invisible dialog bubbles.

View solution in original post