SOLVED

Starting a recording in the middle of a Teams Meeting

Copper Contributor

I just started with a new company. With my previous company Teams' account, if you started the recording of a meeting part of the way through the meeting, it would go back and record everything from the start of the meeting.   However, with my new company, this is not the case.  it only records from the time you start the recording.  Is there a setting I can change to enable this feature?  @Kevin Stratvert    TYIA!

10 Replies
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Hi! You must be mistaken here! The recording won’t exist until you start it! Maybe someone else started it in the beginning previously? Anyway, it’s not possible to retrieve any parts of a meeting that hasn’t been recorded by manually or automatically doing so.

Adam
No such setting.
Adam - Thanks for your response. However, with my prevoous company, it did in fact work as I described. I had routinely started recording in the middle of a meeting and would record the complete meeting. My thoughts were that Teams would "Record" all meetings and only save them if some would turn on recording. Hopefully someone from the MS Teams (@Kevin Stratvert ?) will chime in here. Thanks again!
Hey! Yes, I remember our (previous, now) company changing a setting and this functionality working as well. Will research more.

@jwpjr765 Thank you for looking into it; much appreciated!

@VicDewey33 I was also able to record full meeting even though I pressed record in the middle of the meeting... now it is not so.... there has to be some settings some where for enabling this feature...

@Surya755 Thank you for confirming and validating that I' not crazy!

@jwpjr765, any luck with your research into this?

I'm also wondering if this used to be/is a thing in settings. One thing I noticed is that when you start recording a meeting, the UI shows an elapsed time next to the recording symbol. This time seems to reflect the amount of time since the meeting was started. This has me wondering if at one point in time, teams was designed with this capability in mind. However, the more I think about it, it would sort of violate people's privacy. You'll notice whenever you start a meeting, it tells everyone on the call and has them dismiss the message. This 'informed consent' can't really work retroactively, though, because it would be recording things people said under the expectation that meeting wasn't being recorded.

All that to say, I wonder if Microsoft is being coy about this feature ever existing, since, if it did, that would have been an oversight.

I recall this working as well!!
did you ever get a reply or solution for this?
Thanks
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Hi! You must be mistaken here! The recording won’t exist until you start it! Maybe someone else started it in the beginning previously? Anyway, it’s not possible to retrieve any parts of a meeting that hasn’t been recorded by manually or automatically doing so.

Adam

View solution in original post