SOLVED

Recording a Teams Meeting - How to select which screen is recorded?

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have found the meeting recording feature in Teams. When I have a meeting I often share a screen with some application that I am showing the other participants. I would like to record that screen rather than the teams app with the participants video streams. Is there a way to select which screen is recorded? Is there some other way I should be doing it so that the applicaton I am showing is recorded?

21 Replies
No, the recording will record the entire meeting screen.

Adam
The live event will give you what you want.

@adam deltingerThanks for this reply, but from my experience it is not as straightforward as that:

I presented a meeting yesterday, recorded it from the start, presented mostly sharing my Main Screen (I have two) using PowerPoint which the team saw the whole time. BUT, when it came to seeing what was recorded, yes, ALL the audio was recorded (good) BUT some sort of secondary screen, with four tiles for me and a few other participants. This was not the screen I presented.

So, sorry, but this question still remains: How can someone select, specifically which screen they wish to be recorded ? Or, out another way, how can we be sure that the main presentation window is the one recorded ? AN urgent reply would be appreciated as I have another group meeting later today and this is a real issue for us in this current problematic "remote-working" world.

THANKS for any help !!

Same here. Hope to find a solution soon since many of our meetings are being recorded due to the situation we are facing right now in EU. Many people cannot work at the office and need to see the recordings afterwards.
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@GreatNo 

I believe I have figured out how to do this. Here is the process:

1. Start your meeting.

2. Share the screen that you want to record.

3. In teams, select "Start Recording". 

4. Minimize the Teams app. When you do this, the app will be just a small window in the lower right of your screen (you can move the window around if you want).

As long as the Teams app is minimized then the shared screen will be recorded. 

I wonder if you know if this also work when I am recording the meeting but someone else is sharing the screen? Will it record my screen or the presenter’s?

@Jen22 I don't think you will have a problem. If you are not presenting it will always record the Teams app window.

When a meeting is recorded, can the presenter select specific participants' screens to be included (pinned) in the recording AND ALSO remove himself/herself from the recording? It appears that the recording automatically inserts the presenter's screen into the recording, even though the presenter's screen isn't pinned during the meeting. Thanks for clarifying.

I urgently need to find this out also. I need to record the meeting as full screen of the person I've pinned talking. At the moment- even though I am switching between speakers when I get the recording back it has recorded all four. Help?

As a teacher, I need an easy option to record presentations that don't include students' images (for privacy purposes), so I can subsequently post the lesson onto a shared platform for students who were absent (or just need to review the lesson).

@MrTymm 

You should have no trouble if you follow these instructions:

1. Start your meeting.

4. Minimize the Teams app. When you do this, the app will be just a small window in the lower right of your screen (you can move the window around if you want).

@GreatNo I tried that, but I still get a strip of students' pictures on the bottom of the screen, plus I get audio of participants.

I need an option where the ONLY thing recorded is what I'm presenting and with just MY audio.

@MrTymm There's not a Teams option to do that in a regular meeting currently, maybe it will come with the new Spotlight feature that's on the roadmap.

I would suggest using some other software on your laptop to create the recording locally, rather than meeting recording. I use OBS which is excellent, but there are lots of other screen recording apps.

@Steven Collier Thanks! I figured as much. Hopefully, you're right and MS will roll out that feature soon, as it is desperately needed by teachers who need to make lessons available asynchronously (for their students who can't attend during normal times).

I do have OBS, so I'll see about setting that up to record my lessons in the interim.

Hi @GreatNo , There is a third-party software that can choose to record the specified video screen, it is called Evaer for Teams, please check the link below for details

https://www.evaer.com/skype-call-recorder-blog/how-to-record-only-remote-video-in-a-microsoft-teams-...

Video-control-btn-Teams.png

@GreatNo 

Is it possible to record just one screen for the below scenario?

I remotely assess apprentices. The recording needs to just be of them and not my turned off camera as a split screen. Is this possible?

Thank you 

@Softoxi635 

This solution worked great for me and should be perfect for the person who started this string. Super easy, I purchased the affordable license and am using it regularly. 

Yes, this is possible and very easy with the Evaer recording software. It allows you to select both videos or one, and you can isolate the audio recording to just one, if desired. 

For example, I am interviewing people and I only want their video (either their face or screen share) and their audio on the finished MP4 file.  

Or I can record any combination. 

@GreatNo Will definitely try this.  Very much needed to protect attendees privacy.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by ThereseSolimeno (Microsoft)
Solution

@GreatNo 

I believe I have figured out how to do this. Here is the process:

1. Start your meeting.

View solution in original post