Read-only access on files shared in Personal chat needed instead of automatic change permissions

Copper Contributor

Hi everybody. Here is my question and case. In my mission to get MS Teams in pole-position for collaboration between teams and leaders, I had a talk with a senior manager. He had an understandable reason why he was not completely hooked to working with Teams (only). Here is why: He must write a lot of decision-making documents. His documents are stored on his personal One-drive. When he shares a link to this document in a chat with a colleague, he also gives write permission to the original document of his. That makes him unsecure of always having the right and unchanged document available when needed. Therefore he works around this issue with sending a PDF or the real document as an attachment :( in the mail to his peers. How can he share documents (links) without giving change permissions also?

3 Replies

Hi@DickNoort  I did a Bing search and found this video that may address your issue.  There are also other videos about locking files on the page.  Let us know if this video doesn't answer your question.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=How+can+he+share+documents+(links)+without+giving+change+permis...

@ThereseSolimeno thank you for your suggestion.

Your suggestion covers a great solution how to change default change rights for files in a channel.
My question to prevent default change-rights is specific for the files shared in personal chats. These files are shared on the personal OneDrive of the participant and therefore more vulnerable for unwanted changes.

@DickNoort in your personal chat you can share just a link to a file stored in the channel