outlook contacts not syncing To Teams

Brass Contributor

Hello everyone,

I did research on this issue and there does not seem to be a solution.
we have some users with 4000 Contacts that not sync to Teams.
we migrated users from skype for business to Teams.

I found two solutions that worked for me:
option 1 -

Set-CsUserServicesPolicy -Identity global -UcsAllowed $False
Rollback the UCS policy by using Invoke-CsUcsRollback -Identity “user” if you do not roll back the user from UCS the contacts will not be removed from the contact store. If you do not change the policy and you run the rollback after 7 days the contacts will revert back to UCS.

after we tried this option.
after a week the Contacts appeared on Teams.

option 2 -
after we moved the users from skype to Teams only.
we see a few contacts. (10 contacts out of 1000).
we remove the 10 contacts.
after few days the contacts appeared on the Teams Clients.

After we opened a case in Microsoft support two months ago they said there was a bug and they are working to resolve the issue.
and they said the issue solved.
so far the isuee still happend.

Of course, there is the export/import solution but it is a solution we prefer less.

Does someone have a workaround to Solved this issue?

4 Replies

Hi @ElazarOhayon can you provide some more information about your environment, please?

Are you using Exchange Online or hybrid? Which version of Exchange Server if hybrid?

You mirgated from SfB to Teams. From SfB Online to Teams or SfB OnPrem to Teams?

Sorry for asking but there are so many dependencies to the environment. For example, if you have Exchange OnPrem still in place, contacts for onprem mailboxes are not synchronised to Teams. A mailbox must be located Online for contact sync.

You can find a good overview for Exchange and Teams interaction here:

How Exchange and Microsoft Teams interact - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs

Not everyone used Skype for Business first

@Joel Shuflin 

For all who will listen, after a 6 month long case with 365 support I finally have a fix to the Outlook/Teams contact sync problem!!! you have to put Teams into 'Public Preview' mode.

First follow link below to make the option available on the teams app:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/public-preview-doc-updates

Wait a bit for the policy to propagate to the clients then turn the setting on in the app 

pbarnett_1-1623334740804.png

Close teams and reopen. Then BOOM!! All contacts will start to sync

Also issues here, the Teams mobile app does show the contact info, but the desktop client doens't sync. Even after reinstall. Any other way to fix this issue?