More channels or more sub-folders?

Copper Contributor

So when setting up a collaborative Teams site for a team who are working on multiple work streams, should files for each work stream be organised in sub-folders under a single channel. Or, should a channel be created for each work stream and the files for that work stream be stored in the root folder of the the channel? 

What are the positives and negatives of each approach? 

Discuss.

4 Replies

[Amended answer, previously read it wrong :D]

Thanks for submitting your question!

I thought about this a bit - I could give you an 'it depends' answer insofar that it depends what you are trying to achieve. However, from experience I find that separate channels wins out and has more advantages. This is not really because of the files - it because of what Teams is and that files is only one facet/aspect of teamworking. When doing projects or workstreams, you have conversations around those, you have apps associated with those, you have calls around those.  By definition, Microsoft defines channels as dedicated sections within a team to keep conversations [and files, apps etc] organized by specific topics, projects, disciplines. Typically, working out of the singular general channel muddies the water when trying to use different applications or when conversations merge into one within the posts tab of the general channel. Organisations quickly pick up on this then typically want to split everything out. 

So I would absolutely go with separate channels on this one. 

Best, Chris

Don't think that's exactly what OP was going for between standard and private channels, but using a a bunch of channels vs a channel and sub folders in the channel.

My opinion is it depends. I've made Teams where the General channel is the file repository. Teams where they use a separate Doc Library for documents. Used channels as folders, and Sub folders inside. I don't think there is a best practice way and it all depends on each scenario. Obviously the big limiter when using a channel method is you are limited to 200.

I only like using Channel scenario when it's tied to a project or an asset directly and everything related to that project / asset will be contained.

In General Channel and Separate library scenario it's usually when you have a document repository that doesn't really have many chat topics around or most of the time documents will end up here as "Published" documents, that can then be shared out and the channel files are used for collab and drafts, where the library / gen channel is published sorted locations.

For channels if it's a division or project that has set in stone processes and or stages. So events are good example, where the Team is based on a project itself and not long running like a department site. So you will have channels based on funcitons like Registration, Hotel, room Equipment, Offsites etc. etc. Or a department set in stone like maybe marketing where you have Advertising channel with files, or Press Release, Presentations, and so forth. where it can easily be broken down into work streams of a business unit. But even then these channels will have sub folders too.

Anyway, as you can see, scenarios for each and there is no right answer from my experience, it always is different per use case and can morph between the types as people use and figure out Teams / SharePoint.

@Christopher Hoard  thanks Chris, good insight! 

Thanks Chris for response, I've tried it both ways and agree, depends on the use case I think!