SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Chat Files Folder missing

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

In my org's installation, files that are shared in a chat are stored in the personal OneDrive folder "Microsoft Teams Chat Files". However, at another org there is no folder like that. How come the folder is missing? I have tried to figure it out, but haven't found anything (probably searched for the wrong thing...). Is it a different installation, mode or configuration?

I'd be happy if someone could enlighten me. :) Thanx!

7 Replies
Hi! Its only stored with the person sharing the file! Are you sure you have looked at people that have actually shared a file in a private chat? And not just someone that have been shared with? The folder will get created once this happens

Hey Adam, yes. But I will check once again as I myself still cannot believe it's not there. :D

Just start a chat with anybody and share a file from the chat! Check your Onedrive after this! Make sure it’ll it’s your corporate Onedrive account, in case you have a personal etc..

That's the plan. I'll be back... :) Thanx!

@Christina de Vries I created a new user, started a Teams conversation (personal chat), and uploaded a file. The file was uploaded to the Microsoft Teams Chat Files folder. Don't know what's going on with the other org... Maybe worthwhile having Microsoft support check things out?

best response confirmed by Christina de Vries (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Tony Redmond, I finally had the chance to talk to the other org. We created a new document and shared it in a private chat. It did not appear in the "Teams Chat Files Folder", the original was shared instead.

There was a misconception about how files are shared that are already stored in OneDrive. If you share a local file or a file stored in SPO it will be copied to the Teams Chat Files Folder and the original remains untouched in its place. But if you share a file from your OneDrive it will just be shared with the participants without being copied to the given folder.

I guess that's it.

Thank you all for helping and testing!

Yep! Thats how it works!!

See my blog Post for more details also:

https://deltingercom.wordpress.com/2019/06/13/teams-chat-file-sharing-demystified/
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Christina de Vries (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Tony Redmond, I finally had the chance to talk to the other org. We created a new document and shared it in a private chat. It did not appear in the "Teams Chat Files Folder", the original was shared instead.

There was a misconception about how files are shared that are already stored in OneDrive. If you share a local file or a file stored in SPO it will be copied to the Teams Chat Files Folder and the original remains untouched in its place. But if you share a file from your OneDrive it will just be shared with the participants without being copied to the given folder.

I guess that's it.

Thank you all for helping and testing!

View solution in original post