SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Call Delegation

Brass Contributor

We've recently seen an issue whereby a delegate states that they are not getting calls of the delegator.  They are not receiving the notifications on their device, and it isn't until they see the missed call in their history, that they are aware of the missed call.  As it stands, the delegator has their ring time set to the default 20 seconds, and each delegate has their ring time set to 40 seconds.  It should also be known that each delegate can answer calls for multiple delegators. For example, calls for Delegator A can be answered by Delegate B, and so on.  This issue seems to only be happening with 2 delegates who share the same set of delegators.  This is not happening to any other user within the environment.  This also has been noted to happen whether the delegate is working remote or in the office. 

Environment:

Microsoft Teams w/ Direct Routing.

Ribbon 2k SBC with all up to date firmware.

Troubleshooting:

a. Adjusted ring times on both delegator and delegate client.

b. Clear Teams cache (multiple times).

c. Ensure that the latest version of Teams is installed.

d. Tested incoming calls to delegator (unable to reproduce issue at time of testing).

e. Added delegate to another delegator for testing (all incoming calls were successfully seen/answered).

f. Looped in Microsoft support for assistance providing all required configurations, details, etc.. (they were not able to see anything on their end).

g. Confirmed that hardware configuration is good and current (new laptop received in January and issue started in March.  All calls prior to March were received successfully.)

Some questions for the community...

1. Does delegation work the same as call queues?  For example, is this presence based?

2. Should the incoming calls for delegators ring all delegates at once (similar to attendant based routing)?

3. Does the ring time for the delegator and the delegate play a factor?  Does one trump the other?

4. Are there other quirky things about Teams Delegation that I am missing that aren't obvious?

I'm pretty much at my wits end.  Any guidance or gotchas would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies

@Chris Krafcky 

Since the community has not yet responded to your post, you might want to seek assistance with other resources that are focused on tech support:

• Ask your IT manager to open a support case or call Microsoft using the support line you were given.  Other options for business subscription admins are listed here:

Get support | Microsoft Docs

https://support.serviceshub.microsoft.com/supportforbusiness/create

@Therese_Solimeno
We currently have a case open with Microsoft and will be conducting tests next week. However in the meantime I wanted to get the communities input on this. Obviously this must be something that not a lot of people have experience with as no one has bothered to reply. I will keep it here in the hopes that someone has some insight.
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@Chris Krafcky 

1. The delegate needs to be available, otherwise the call will step past this to Voicemail. This isn't really like call queues, it's call forwarding and relies on the Delegator choosing to either forward their calls to Delegates or for calls to also ring their Delegates. The Delegates is really just a group to the calls section in Settings.

2. Yes, if they are available

3. Delegator is in control, if it's set to also ring their delegate then their setting defines how long that is attempted before the next option (typically voicemail).

4. Not really, it' unclear to me what setting your delegators have set to forward calls to delegates. Sometimes SBCs can have issues when calls are set to forward if they haven't been fully configured as documented for Teams.

@Chris Krafcky 

Were you able to resolve this with your MS case?  I also have multiple delegates to a main line number whom only receive the calls on their Teams client.  The calls never go to their physical phones.  I've had the setting defined both as Forward calls to delegates an as Ring me and also ring delegates.  Some calls come through to phone and some don't.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Therese_Solimeno (Moderator)
Solution

@Chris Krafcky 

1. The delegate needs to be available, otherwise the call will step past this to Voicemail. This isn't really like call queues, it's call forwarding and relies on the Delegator choosing to either forward their calls to Delegates or for calls to also ring their Delegates. The Delegates is really just a group to the calls section in Settings.

2. Yes, if they are available

3. Delegator is in control, if it's set to also ring their delegate then their setting defines how long that is attempted before the next option (typically voicemail).

4. Not really, it' unclear to me what setting your delegators have set to forward calls to delegates. Sometimes SBCs can have issues when calls are set to forward if they haven't been fully configured as documented for Teams.

View solution in original post