SOLVED

Microsoft Teams Bluetooth Headset No Sound When Using External Mic

Copper Contributor

I am currently on Windows 11 Build 22504.rs_prelease.211112-1650 and whenever I use Microsoft Teams Desktop (Version 1.4.00.29469 (64-bit), last updated on 2021-11-06) with my Taotronics TT-BH22 headset, I cannot hear anything from the headset's speakers in the call unless I use the headset's microphone. The two problems with using the headset's own microphone are that

1. The audio quality becomes very poor for no reason

2. I want to use my external Blue Yeti microphone instead of my headset microphone.

DabeerAzeez_3-1638446360459.png

The above picture is what I would like my Teams audio setup to be, with my Taotronics headphones as the speakers and my Yeti as the microphone. With this setup in a Teams call, although I can notice sound being played to my Taotronics via the sound control panel (see image below), I do not hear it. So I effectively cannot use my external microphone in Teams because I have a bluetooth headset mic, and when I use the bluetooth headset's microphone in Teams, the sound on the headset works, but it is of very poor quality.

DabeerAzeez_4-1638446377741.png

I have tried disabling the headset mic, but that doesn't fix the issue, as I still can't hear anything from my headphones. I've been able to use Teams on the browser without an issue, but I need the features on Teams Desktop since the browser version is limited.

22 Replies
I am also experiencing this issue. Using Bluetooth headset that has integrated microphone but need to use my plug-in microphone which has better quality. When I do this I don't get any audio through the headset (actually for about 5 or 6 seconds I do get audio still, but I assume that is while the system is switching to the new configuration and then the audio dies). So when audio and mic are both set to the Bluetooth headset it works, when I try set it to my external plug-in mic audio stops.

Teams version: You have Microsoft Teams Version 1.4.00.31569 (64-bit). It was last updated on 2021/12/01.

Windows version Windows 11 Pro Version 21H2, Installed on ‎2021/‎10/‎27, OS build 22000.348, Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.348.0

Microphone: Boya BY-MM1+ (Super-cardioid Condenser Shotgun Microphone)

Headset: JBL Reflect Mini NC True Wireless Noise Cancelling In-Ear Sport Headphones
Same issue. Issue resolved itself when I disabled the build in headset function in the headset properties using the configuration panel. Looks like Microsoft Teams is only recognizing the bluetooth headphones as a headset. This causes the bluetooth profile to mismatch with no audio as a result. Strange thing is also that if you open sound settings and opening up the recording tab the sound is back again. Switching to a different panel makes the sound go away again. Only happens on MS Teams calls and was working fine with Windows 10. Please get this resolved Microsoft. Many thanks.
Same issue with Sony WH1000XM4 and Antlion ModMic Wireless, temporary fix a reinstalling WiFi/BT drivers for Intel based NICs but would need to do this on each reboot. Windows 11 issue it seems.
best response confirmed by DabeerAzeez (Copper Contributor)

@kamkie  Thank you so much, that worked. (disabling hands free audio in the device setting)

Also worked for me! Thanks!

@kamkie That worked for me too. 

Thank you... that's been annoying me since I switched to windows 11. 

Thank you soo much for sharing that!
Now that Windows 11 has revamped devices and printers, any ideas on where to go to disable hands free audio?
yes, it looks like in win 11 beta this old devices and printers gui is disabled 
that is a bit of a problem 
I found it
Bluetooth & devices | Devices | More devices and printers settings
Yes! Thank you so much been looking for that for a while. Now hopefully this fixes the issue.

@kamkie Perfect! I've been looking for this for days! 

Ironically, the TEAMS home version in windows 11 doesn't mess up my sound; only the professional TEAMS DESKTOP, or at least in my computer.

This is such an annyoing and possibly simple error to fix, but has been happening for a long time. Thank you for guiding us into the solution to this problem.
Having the same problem. The issue with disabling the handsfree telephony is that it removes the option to use the mic on the headphones. I was hoping to select when I use the desktop mic vs not.

@kamkieI'm encountering this issue and tried following the steps on the link you provided but the Services tab doesn't populate with the check boxes as pictured on the steps. All I get is a spinning/loading icon. And I've waited but it just doesn't show the options. Any help is appreciated.

Screenshot 2023-01-17 203617.png

This is fantastic! Thank you for updating the original solution to find the buried properties menu.

Nope, none of the above is a 'solution'. Workaround at best, but even then, some just do not provide the full and proper experience. Disabling the Handsfree Telephony under the BT headset/headphones (regardless of make and model) does not provide audio switching.

Example:
When you are listening to music on your smartphone with your BT headset/headphones and then you get a Windows notification sound it should either suppress or temporally pause the music playback. On a Teams call, since it is using both playback and recording function of what Windows sees it should pause the music playback. When the Teams call ends, music playback resumes.

This has been my experience under Windows 10 and Windows 11. However, when using any mic outside of your BT headset/headphones (e.g. Rode XDM-100, Blue Yeti, etc.) this is not the experience with Teams and Windows 11. Teams and Windows 10 still work fine with the above scenario. So, I suspect that this is a combination of the two. Microsoft is trying to make the Teams and Windows 11 Experience the most optimal, but this is not working out so well and I do believe that they should not be controlling the audio (aka Unified Audio Endpoint).

This is ok for consumer and/or novice users, but for us technical users we should have more control if we want it.

For those not able to find the settings on Windows 11. This manual works perfectly fine.
Fix For Low Bluetooth Audio Quality Due To Hands Free Telephony On - Microsoft Community
@kamkie 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by DabeerAzeez (Copper Contributor)