Mic not working in Windows Teams App, but works in Browser version of Teams...

Copper Contributor

I'm on Windows 11, and Teams, both have been updated to the latest versions of the software. I reinstalled Teams for Business too.

I'm using a Logitech Brio webcam. I have two on hand. The problem exists with both webcams.

When I join a meeting via the browser, there's no problem with my Brio Webcam / Mic. People can see me and hear me without any issues.

But when I join a meeting via Teams App on Windows, The video flashes two or three times, then after about 15 seconds, I get an error in Teams "Your microphone isn't working. Connect to a different device or try reconnecting this one."  

If I try reconnecting the webcam, it does nothing. Microphone continues to not work. Webcam works, however.

Started a few days ago.

I tried removing and reinstalling the drivers on my computer.  Odd thing is, that everything works, outside of the Teams app. I can go to sound settings, and test the microphone there. NO PROBLEMS!

Please help! I rely on Teams for EVERYTHING in my job.

2 Replies

Hi @GraphBuilder,

If your microphone is not working in the Windows Teams app but works in the browser version of Teams, you can try the following troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue:

1. Check Microphone Settings:
- Launch the Teams app on Windows.
- Click on your profile picture or initials in the top right corner.
- Select "Settings" from the dropdown menu.
- In the settings menu, choose "Devices" or "Audio & Video" section.
- Ensure that the correct microphone is selected as the audio input device. If necessary, change the microphone to the appropriate option.

2. Grant Microphone Permissions:
- Open Windows Settings by pressing the Windows key + I.
- Select "Privacy" from the settings menu.
- Click on "Microphone" from the left-hand side panel.
- Make sure that the toggle switch for "Allow apps to access your microphone" is turned on.
- Scroll down and ensure that the toggle switch for Microsoft Teams is also turned on.

3. Update Audio Drivers:
- Open the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and selecting "Device Manager" from the menu.
- Expand the "Audio inputs and outputs" section.
- Right-click on your microphone device and select "Update driver."
- Follow the on-screen instructions to update the audio driver. If an update is available, it will be downloaded and installed.

4. Restart Teams App:
- Close the Teams app completely.
- Right-click on the Teams icon in the system tray (bottom right corner of the screen) and select "Quit" or "Exit."
- Relaunch the Teams app and check if the microphone is working now.

5. Check Other Apps and Settings:
- Ensure that no other applications are using the microphone simultaneously. Some applications may "lock" the microphone, preventing Teams from accessing it.

Also please explore the link below to further fix this issue:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/microphone-not-working-on-teams-app-but-is-wor....

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved

If you like my response, please give it a Like :smile:

Appreciate your Kudos! Proud to contribute! :)

@Deleted so... interestingly.... teams just did another update and it fixed the problem.